"Laid-Back Beach Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua by kellinwood

Kailua Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 176 photos

Beautiful Beaches

The beach in Kailua is long and beautiful. Its paradise for anyone that likes ocean activities such as outrigger canoing, kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkeling, wind surfing, and kite surfing. The nearby islands and reefs protect the beach from large surf, but surfing is still possible in the northern area of Kailua in the areas called "Castles" and "Shorebreak" (beach accesses #89A and #89B). There are several local establishments to choose from which offer equipment rentals and lessons for these various activities.

Kailua doesn't have a marina but nearby Kaneohe does -- making sport fishing and other boating activities possible without a long drive.

Dog-friendly

I'm lucky enough to live in Kailua. My wife is soaking in the ocean's calming energy and Shiloh looks happy to have moved here.

No Hotels

Don't confuse Kailua with Kailua-Kona which is on the Big Island of Hawaii. Kailua is on the island of Oahu and like many communities on the windward coast there aren't any hotels or motels. If you want to stay in Kailua you'll have to find a vacation rental through a site such as FlipKey.com. But be careful, the two times I've used vacation rentals here the accommodations were far less than spectacular. The one and only hotel on the Windward side is in nearby Kaneohe... the Paradise Bay Resort.

• Intro Updated Jun 21, 2013

• Dani808's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

There is a hotel now, Paradise Bay Resort in Kaneohe is now the only hotel on the Windward Side :)

• kellinwood's Profile Photo
      Jun 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I updated that paragraph.

• Dani808's Profile Photo
      Jun 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Sure no problem. It didn't occur to me until last month when we stayed there and I saw their marketing. I was like, OH YEAH they are here

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Aloha, well Brah, you gonna become a Kama’aina. Da Kine is pupule. As for Teddy's grindz, a good hamburger, if the bun don't break, will brok da mout. I always went/go to Kalama Beach Park. Not many Haole. LOL. A hui hou. :-)

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Never stayed on the windward side but looks great. Living in Hawaii is still a goal. Just have to figure out how to make it all work. Had a place in Molokai'i but decided it wasn't right for us.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hi Ken! Thanks for visiting my Kauai page. I read that you recently moved to Hawaii. That is great! My boyfriend and I enjoy going to the Hawaiian Islands but haven't made that leap to move there. We really love being in So Cal and all of our friends are here. My favorite snorkeling experience in Hawaii was the north shore of Oahu near Haleiwa where the green sea turtles seems to frequent. Just phenomenal! Aloha!

kellinwood Lives Here!

kellinwood

“I Love the Ocean! - VT Staff Member since Sept 2008.”

Badges & Stats in Kailua