"Beautiful walled town" Vence by Flying.Scotsman
Vence Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 370 photos
Vence is another "village perché" which is an easy day tip from Nice. Like Biot, the best "thing to do" is to wander, explore, and get lost in the narrow streets and squares. The sign below describes why many of the houses are built into the town walls. I have a couple of pages of pictures in the "things to do" section which will give you an idea of what it looks like. Apart from the town itself, the views over the hills are stunning.
Outside the town, about a 15 minute walk is the Matisse Chapel. This is a major tourist attraction and I'm sure if you are a particular follower of Matisse, you will want to see it. I, personally thought it had all the warmth of a public toilet, complete with "grafitti" drawings by Matisse. Sorry, not impressed. A friend of mine thought it was the highlight of his visit to the area, so judge for yourself.
Oh, almost forgot about the cherries. There was a market stall selling new season cherries for €54.95 per kilo. We asked the lady to weigh one cherry and it cost €1.65! Advice: Wait for the season to be in full swing before you buy cherries in Vence.
The best thing to do in Vence is explore on foot. Make sure you see the houses built into the town walls. And here are... more travel advice
Flying.Scotsman's Related Pages
Vence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval Splendor"
- "Vence The City of the Fountains"
- "Matisse's Vence"
- "Vence has an Old Town and a newer town"
- "St Paul De Vence - Classic Hilltop Town"
- "Beautiful walled town"
- "Saint-Paul de Vence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vence
- Hotels in Vence
- Transportation in Vence
- Restaurants in Vence
- Shopping in Vence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vence
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Vence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vence
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos
- Fife Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 14 reviews, 52 photos
- Riga Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Nice Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos