"Jumping Around Roswell! The Aliens Have Landed!" Top 5 Page for this destination Roswell by jumpingnorman

Roswell Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 169 photos

The first time I saw the UFO Museum in Roswell, I was thinking it should have a better façade. The parking is at the side of the building and museum is at the main road itself, with fast cars passing by. But then, this is where it all started and so we just have to be happy about having such a unique museum.

The Aliens have landed!!!

The events of July 1947 are still shrouded in mystery, despite these times of declassification. It was because of so much interest in the UFO crash that the International UFO Museum and Research Center was incorporated in 1991 and the IRS made it eventually a non-profit organization.

But the town has benefitted from the alien invasion…there are signs of big-headed wide-eyed aliens everywhere…and Roswell has been the butt of alien jokes for so long --- so the city seems to be intent on creating a new Roswell. The Art Museums and Galleries that are popping out are signs that the area may be headed towards a more global tourism destination.

However, just driving a few blocks away from the city center, you cannot help but notice that there is still so much room for improvement. There are already several hotels/motels and restaurants, but there probably needs to be more industry so that this “alienated” city will prosper even more.

What was in Roswell before the alien "crashed"?

In the 1870-80’s, Roswell was actually the watering place for the Pecos Valley cattle drives, established earlier by Van Smith of Nebraska with his business partner Aaron Wilburn. Smith later named the settlement after his dad, Roswell Smith.

Then in 1930’s Dr. Robert Goddard actually conducted experiments here on liquid fuel rocket flights and now there is a planetarium in his honor.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

I made a short video of us in Rosell, New Mexico!
Hope you like this spooky alien video:

JUMPING FAMILY IN ROSWELL!

• Pros:I love UFO's, and town is trying to expand horizons
  • Cons:The town needs more investors into the area (aliens?)
  • In a nutshell:For naysayers, "Let us give Roswell a chance to grow..."
  • Last visit to Roswell: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2013

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Love the photos of your kids in the alien library! Looking forward to checking out Roswell for myself in a few weeks time :-) Will look out for Farleys as the decor looks cool!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Uh-huh . . .

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 6:25 AM

OOOOH I'M scared. I think aliens are among us, especially bearded ones. hehe!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Photo postcard of Roswell has landed in Penang island. Thanks so much. Cheers, SL :)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Awesome Updates Norman and I always get a big giggle when I see this page. Oh the Roswell Pioneer Plaza looks wonderful!

• csordila's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM

It seems to me as if aliens do not want to bring their money for further developments. Your kids are almost higher than the ugly dummy. Best. L.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I had no idea there was a Center for UFO studies in Chicago, I better stay far, far away or they might start investigating me ;-)

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Funny you had to say: My daughter the one in brown...."lol..

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Your twins will really appreciate you big time for giving them the experience of travel Norman!

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Roswell

Have you been to Roswell?