"Phoenix!" Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix by jumpingnorman

Phoenix Travel Guide: 768 reviews and 1,595 photos

My Mom married her soulmate in a park in Phoenix

After not seeing each other for 42 years, my Mom (widowed for 12 years from my Irish stepfather Charles) and Tito Emie (a widower) fell in love again!
They were married in a solemn ceremony (February 2006) in one of Phoenix's many man-made lake parks...

WHY I CHOSE TO LIVE IN PHOENIX?

I was looking for a place to settle in where it would snow the least, I would earn the most and I would have have a beautiful suburban house close to a major metropolis with a busy airport --- my choices included Las Vegas, my original hometown of San Jose, California, San Diego, and finally, I chose a job in Phoenix!

Although our summers can be painfully hot, we enjoy living in this place which is 4-5 hours from something (San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and even Mexico are easily reachable by car). The only regret is not having a beach close by --- and so now, that's what we look forward to --- seeing the beaches during our travels!

We are close to the Grand Canyon though and I have probably visited it 50 times! But it's always fun to be close to this natural wonder...

But the longer I live here, the more I realize there's so much too see close to home! Phoenix, Scottsdale, Glendale and Peoria may not be too tourist-friendly because of limited public transportation --- but the Off-the-Beaten Path adventures are unlimited.

From visiting ruins left by the Sinaguan Indians (Tuzigoot Monument) to Hot-air ballooning ---- from the slippery rocks of Sedona's Slide Rock State Park to the eerie Montezuma Well ....from the huge Saguaro Park of Tucson to the safari experience at Out of Africa in Camp Verde...the list goes on and on...

It's always nice to find out (and be surprised) that there's something close to home that you've never been to...that's what Phoenix is for me.

NOW THAT OUR TWINS ARE BIGGER, we are hiking more and enjoying the many trails around us (as of 2010)...I will try to build some tips of the best hikes we've done as a family here in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.

• Intro Updated Jan 23, 2010

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Hi again, Norman! It's always nice to read and reread your comprehensive travel pages! Best wishes from Ukraine!)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
      Apr 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

thanks so much Vic! I am waiting for my new passport to arrive and then I will reserve the Chernobyl tour (they want the new passport number) - I am excited to see Ukraine :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Norman, welcome to the good old Ukraine!)

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Great Phoenix page. Someday I'll have suck it up and go to the desert again. I hear they play golf there? Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2011 at 3:37 AM

A lovely page on Arizona, Norman, you sure picked the place with the least amount of snow hehehe :D

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2011 at 6:00 AM

Great, comprehensive page! I love the Arizona landscape, just wish it wasn't so hot! Great scenery, some fantastic hotels and lots to see within driving distance! Hope to return there some day.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Hi, Norman! Thanks for your great story and pictures! Greetings from UA! ><><><><

• princessofnot's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Planning on a trip to the Phoenix/Glendale area in late Sept. 2010 and would love to see an NFL game in this beautiful statium. What would be the best way to obtain tickets for this event ?

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Norman, fabulous page about your hometown. I would like to visit the Hall of Flame, especially as I didn't know that American firemen are shirtless *winkygrin*. I quite like the croc towel of your son. Keep on jumping. :-)

• asianbelle's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM

norman, your tag "jumper of arizona" sounds like an illegal power/electrical connection :)))

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM

your twins make any trip to your pages double fun. they bring extra energy. btw, nice tips and great pictures, especially those showing scenes through 'window' in the rock. but where are the hikes?

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Norman, what happened? You didn't happen to visit the "Heart Attack Grill" and order the quad. Glad to see you are pumping, er meant jumping as normal.

jumpingnorman Lives Here!

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Phoenix

Have you been to Phoenix?

Latest Activity in Phoenix