"Jumping Around Seward!" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by jumpingnorman

Seward Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 480 photos

This is where the Iditerod Dog Sled Race Starts!

Have you ever heard of that famous dog race - the Iditerod??? Well, it all starts here at Seward, Alaska!!! The picture above shows me at Mile 0 - where the Iditerod starts....you could almost hear them shouting, the dogs barking, everybody excited during the start of this great race! Wish I was there on that actual day ... maybe someday!

But for my sister and I who visited this May 2009, it was a starting point for a boat cruise that showed us the wonders of the wildlife at Resurrection Bay and at the Gulf of Alaska --- We saw KILLER WHALES!

Wearing a KC Chiefs Football Jacket for Alaska!

Other than killer whales, we also saw a lot of mountain goats, seals, sea otters, dolphins and sea birds that screech as they go to their cliffside dwellings...it was pure wilderness by the sea...see my VIDEO on us waiting for the killer whales to go up the surface of the water!

The Earth is really beautiful and we all should contribute to preserving it!

• Pros:Seeing Killer whales in the wild
  • Cons:Wind was cold and choppy in some areas
  • Last visit to Seward: May 2009
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Just why wouldn't you have a dog jumping up on you in the cover pic? It must be some nice place to visit and the scenery fantastic.

• May 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM

The Idatarod does not start in Seward... The Seavy Family lives there and they run a tour with the dogs. where you can get on a modified sled and take a guided ride. The Iditarod starts in Anchorage and Willow.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 7:31 AM

>>> Hello, Norman! You have made a great trip of Alaska! Good for you!<><><>

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM

It would be exciting to be there for the Dog Race!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 6:51 PM

The dog race must be impressive, when there are dozens of slides, eachh with a dozen of hounds, wow! Excellent photo of sea lions!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Some real cool stuff here Norman - Glacier & Wildlife Boat Cruise - Iditerod dog sled racing - Salmon & Steak dinner!!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I made it to Alaska in the middle of winter right after my Antarctica cruise. It was so darn cold that I haven't gotten back again since. It must be a great experience driving that new lexus. My dad got his in Canada about 14 years ago, great car!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Nice tips. Maybe some day... But I really enjoyed your videos. Pity one can't give ratings on those too.

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Dog sled races and killer whales...sounds like my kind of place! Thanks for sharing your adventure!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 2:13 AM

You seem to be posting better and better tips - Seaward is no exception! Monument, museum, boat cruise and Alaska Sea Life Center seem interesting. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Seward