"Jumping Around Seward!" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by jumpingnorman
Seward Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 492 photos
Have you ever heard of that famous dog race - the Iditerod??? The picture above shows me at Mile 0 - ....you could almost hear them shouting, the dogs barking, everybody excited during the start of this great race! Wish I was there on that actual day ... maybe someday! However, VTer Susan wrote me on July 2014 that this may not be so :) Susan wrote:
"Norman, the ceremonial start of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race is in Anchorage, and the actual start is in Wasilla the following day. If you show up in Seward expecting cheers and howls, you'll be disappointed. The railroad carried the life-saving diptheria serum from Seward to Nenana, and then mushers and their dogs relayed it to Nome. It was a race only to safe lives, not to compete for money. The Iditarod Sled Dog Race commemorates the courage and selflessness of those mushers who saved the town of Nome in 1925."
Thanks Susan for the info :)))
But for my sister and I who visited this May 2009, it was a starting point for a boat cruise that showed us the wonders of the wildlife at Resurrection Bay and at the Gulf of Alaska --- We saw KILLER WHALES!
Other than killer whales, we also saw a lot of mountain goats, seals, sea otters, dolphins and sea birds that screech as they go to their cliffside dwellings...it was pure wilderness by the sea...see my VIDEO on us waiting for the killer whales to go up the surface of the water!
The Earth is really beautiful and we all should contribute to preserving it!*
- Pros:Seeing Killer whales in the wild
- Cons:Wind was cold and choppy in some areas
You can’t miss this nice aquarium located near Resurrection Bay when you are driving in the town of Seward. The... more travel advice
Seward is a very small town and my sister and I were on the lookout for museums in the area and we did find this little... more travel advice
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Seward Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic Seward"
- "Seward - Scenery that can't be beat"
- "Jumping Around Seward!"
- "A Favorite Destination"
- "Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park"
- "Great fishing town on Kenai Peninsula"
- "Seward, a small and friendly harbor town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seward
- Hotels in Seward
- Transportation in Seward
- Restaurants in Seward
- Shopping in Seward
- Warnings and Dangers in Seward
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seward
- 7 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Seward?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seward
Photos in SewardSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues