"Peterhof and its amazing fountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof by jumpingnorman

Peterhof Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 245 photos

All the Fountains were OPEN

My guide was telling me something about there being no pumps at the fountains and something about physics, but it was not too clear to me. But whatever, they looked great! One just marvels at those gilded statues and then walking around the whole gardens is a treat in itself.

On further research, I learn that the technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. "Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. The elevation difference creates the pressure that drives most of the fountains of the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade." Thanks Wikipedia for supplying this info, but I still do not understand it.

Take my picture here!

No matter how much pictures you take, you have to be there to fully understand the grandiosity of this Imperial Garden. I think I am going to come back!

Nice House by lake

This is still within the palace ground, and this lake is alongside the Gulf of Finland.

• Last visit to Peterhof: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2008

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Very nice page. I loved my visit to Peterhof.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Norman, lovely little page with brilliant photos of Peterhof, which I missed during my one week in St. Petersburg.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2010 at 4:52 AM

It's a great place indeed!...You're right, Norman: those are fascinating places to visit! That place is a miracle of human labor!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I quite agree with you: I love Versailles as well. But the fountains in Peterhof work all day long while the fountains in Versailles work only an hour in the evening. I never saw them in operation though was there three times, haha!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Nice fountain :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 1:45 PM

great to see Petrodworets through your eyes, Norman ! I had been there in communiste times and will return in june to go there again !

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM

One of these days...

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 3:22 AM

Interesting Peterhof page! Russian Versailles and Peterhof Castle sound interesting to visit! ~ho & pang

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Great tips, Norman!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM

The Imperial Garden is beautiful.

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Peterhof

Have you been to Peterhof?