"Hearing Russians Sing Thru Window As I Write This" Saint Petersburg by jumpingnorman

Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,553 reviews and 7,566 photos

Walking the Nevsky in a Drizzle

Please don't forget to sign in my GUESTBOOK AND MAP so I know where you ARE! (Escriba/Firma en mi mapa por farvor!)
VIEW MY GUESTBOOK AND MAP

Arrived today (September 2, 2008) here in Russia and finally in a big room with windows opening out onto famous avenue "Nevsky Prospect" which was fun to walk around in even with a little afternoon drizzle. From my room, I could occassionally hear some guys singing out some marching tune (maybe after vodka?). Things are much more affordable here compared to its Scandinavian neighbours (except for the souvenirs, food very inexpensive). The monuments/churches are right there smack in the middle of the city, everything walkable in a 1.5-2 hour trek which I will try later this week. Spaseebo --- thanks in Russian (but I think my spelling wrong)! "Po-ka" means so long for now (I think)!

The Peterhof Palace

My wife and I enjoyed Versailles in Paris, having our pre-school twins run around the grounds and the palace last year. But the fountains here in Peterhof are just unequalled by any other! This a lesser known place than Versailles (love Versailles though which I have visited 3x), but the gardens of Peterhof are just unbelievably lush with trees so geometrically aligned. And this whole imperial palace is right beside the magnificent Gulf of Finland (I think it is the only imperial palace beside a big body of water)! They are forceful powerful jets of water coming out of amazing golden statues and lots of "trick" fountains like the spraying ones my kids enjoy back home. Beware though about the walking because the place is huge (500 acres?) and can tire you out and get you lost.

In WWII, the large Samson Fountain from the 1730's by Mikhail Kozlovsky was looted by the invading Germans and the current replica of the statue was installed in 1947. Samson is shown tearing open the jaws of a lion (the one pictured here is another gilded figure opening a fish mouth), representing Russia's victory over Sweden in the Great Northern War. The lion is part of the Swedish coat of arms and from its mouth shoots a 20-metre-high vertical jet of water, the highest in Peterhof.

Sunset at Neva River

I was walking and tired on the main road Nevsky when I stumbled upon a boat ride on the small canal river called Moyki. I rode on it and good I did because it went out all the way to the big River Neva --- and I saw a spectacular sunset on St. Petersburg!

See More of my Russian Adventure! Travelogue: From Russia with Love

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

I made a video of my wonderful trip!
Hope you like this:

MY FIRST DAY IN RUSSIA

• Pros:Magnificent Palaces and Castles left by the Czars/Emperors
  • Cons:Expensive souvenirs, probably 99% people can't speak English
  • In a nutshell:Masterfully made city, well-planned avenues and river canals
  • Last visit to Saint Petersburg: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2013

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Hi, Norman! It's always great to read and to reread your travel pages! Thanks for your good work and generous sharing your travel experiences!)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Back for another visit to this page! So much to see & do in this great city!! Nice photos!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2010 at 4:51 AM

Hello, Norman! What a splendid trip you've had! Good for you! Congratulations!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Saint Petersburg is a lovely travel spot. All that history and archetiture is fabulous. I enjoyed this page!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Enjoyed your page Norman, swimming would be out for me as I guess the river water would not be warm enough, however disappointing there is pollution in the River.Hopefully we might visit mid 2010.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Just last night my husband said he'd love to visit St Petersburg one day... A great page, Norman!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Thank you Norman for your promotion on VT the city one of the most beautiful cities in Europe and where I had a honor to be born! Glad you liked it!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Don't jump too much in Russia. KBG is still around. I was there when it was Leningrad. Sad then to see the bread lines and no lights on the hotel except for a slot machine. Ah, the decadent West. Right. Trust things are getting better in St. Petersburg.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Don't know why I don't have an urge to visit Russia...Someone has to brainwash me!!!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I love St Petersburg especially St Petershof. ;-)

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?

Videos in Saint Petersburg