"Hearing Russians Sing Thru Window As I Write This" Saint Petersburg by jumpingnorman
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,605 reviews and 7,732 photos
Please don't forget to sign in my GUESTBOOK AND MAP so I know where you ARE! (Escriba/Firma en mi mapa por farvor!)
VIEW MY GUESTBOOK AND MAP
Arrived today (September 2, 2008) here in Russia and finally in a big room with windows opening out onto famous avenue "Nevsky Prospect" which was fun to walk around in even with a little afternoon drizzle. From my room, I could occassionally hear some guys singing out some marching tune (maybe after vodka?). Things are much more affordable here compared to its Scandinavian neighbours (except for the souvenirs, food very inexpensive). The monuments/churches are right there smack in the middle of the city, everything walkable in a 1.5-2 hour trek which I will try later this week. Spaseebo --- thanks in Russian (but I think my spelling wrong)! "Po-ka" means so long for now (I think)!
My wife and I enjoyed Versailles in Paris, having our pre-school twins run around the grounds and the palace last year. But the fountains here in Peterhof are just unequalled by any other! This a lesser known place than Versailles (love Versailles though which I have visited 3x), but the gardens of Peterhof are just unbelievably lush with trees so geometrically aligned. And this whole imperial palace is right beside the magnificent Gulf of Finland (I think it is the only imperial palace beside a big body of water)! They are forceful powerful jets of water coming out of amazing golden statues and lots of "trick" fountains like the spraying ones my kids enjoy back home. Beware though about the walking because the place is huge (500 acres?) and can tire you out and get you lost.
In WWII, the large Samson Fountain from the 1730's by Mikhail Kozlovsky was looted by the invading Germans and the current replica of the statue was installed in 1947. Samson is shown tearing open the jaws of a lion (the one pictured here is another gilded figure opening a fish mouth), representing Russia's victory over Sweden in the Great Northern War. The lion is part of the Swedish coat of arms and from its mouth shoots a 20-metre-high vertical jet of water, the highest in Peterhof.
I was walking and tired on the main road Nevsky when I stumbled upon a boat ride on the small canal river called Moyki. I rode on it and good I did because it went out all the way to the big River Neva --- and I saw a spectacular sunset on St. Petersburg!
See More of my Russian Adventure! Travelogue: From Russia with Love
I made a video of my wonderful trip!
Hope you like this:
MY FIRST DAY IN RUSSIA
- Pros:Magnificent Palaces and Castles left by the Czars/Emperors
- Cons:Expensive souvenirs, probably 99% people can't speak English
- In a nutshell:Masterfully made city, well-planned avenues and river canals
Before I went to Russia, I did read that sometimes you might encounter a kid (often referred to as a gypsy, but I think... more travel advice
Here is a wall of the Peter and Paul Fortress near the water, and if you look closely, you will see some people in their... more travel advice
Written Mar 27, 2013
From Russia with Love
Written Jul 20, 2009
LEAVE A NOTE IN MY GUESTBOOK AND MAP
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- "St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
- "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- "STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
- "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- "St Petersburg in Summer"
- "Saint Petersburg~ Russia at its best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 10 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How many of our avid VT..."
- Commented on one of jumpingnorman's Saint Petersburg travel pages
- updated a Saint Petersburg Travelogue "From Russia with Love"
- Uploaded a Photo to "LEAVE A NOTE IN MY GUESTBOOK AND MAP"
- Wrote a Review Saying "NYET" to a persistent kids about Street Crime in Saint Petersburg Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Video to Saint Petersburg
Photos in Saint PetersburgSee All Photos (37)
Videos in Saint PetersburgSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues