Quezon City Favorite Tips by jumpingnorman Top 5 Page for this destination
Quezon City Favorites: 8 reviews and 6 photos
Rare monkey-eating eagle, Philippines
Favorite thing: I enlarged this picture of the endangered Philippine Eagle nicknamed "Kagsabua" (meaning "unity" ) from Getty Pictures. One of the tallest and strongest birds on earth!
Sadly, this bird on this very picture was found DEAD after it was released into the wild (a few days later) by efforts to save the species (year 2008). His body parts were found in the forest with his transmitter --- it is so sad that somebody killed him. Why? Authorities are looking for Kagsabua’s killer.
Just a few hundred (maybe less than 300) of these eagles are left on our planet.
Originally called Monkey-eating Eagle, the name was changed to Philippine Eagle because it also ate other animals such as colugo, civets, large snakes, monitor lizards, and even large birds like hornbills. It became the national bird in 1995, but had been recognized as a great Philippine treasure way before that.
The birds reproduce slowly, with the female mature at 5 years and the males slow-to-mature at 7 years (why are males lagging behind? hehehe)...and they are also very monogamous, staying with their partner for life with the complete breeding lasting two years. Hopefully, conservation efforts will save the Philippine Eagle from extinction.
Fondest memory: Seeing the Monkey Eating Eagle, now called Philippine Eagle, at the Wild Life Park Zoo in Quezon City.
More Reviews (6)
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Quezon City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jumping Around Quezon City where I Grew Up!"
- "Ahhhhh...Quezon City"
- "My Hometown: Quezon City"
- "A City Close to my heart"
- "City of Stars"
- "Progressive Quezon City"
- "This is actually where I live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quezon City
- Hotels in Quezon City
- Transportation in Quezon City
- Nightlife in Quezon City
- Restaurants in Quezon City
- Shopping in Quezon City
- Warnings and Dangers in Quezon City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quezon City
- 7 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Quezon City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quezon City
- Posted in Travel Phoenix Forum "Re: Visiting on 1-25-14 what to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "#9 GUESS WHO'S JUMPING IN TIME THROUGH TRAVEL?"
- updated a Quezon City Travelogue "#9 GUESS WHO'S JUMPING IN TIME THROUGH TRAVEL?"
- Commented on one of cyndymc's Quezon City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sing the Karaoke in Timog and Tomas Morato areas in Quezon City Nightlife
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 52 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues