"Spending my Birthday in Tallinn" Tallinn by jumpingnorman
Tallinn Travel Guide: 1,738 reviews and 4,689 photos
The year 1918 was when the city of Tallin finally had an Independence Manifesto, after hundreds of years of being attacked and pillaged due to its criticial location as a trading port between Scandinavia and Russia. Now in 2008, I decided to visit this biggest city of Estonia. I took an overnight ferry from Stockholm and woke up on my birthday at the Port of Tallinn, immediately walking around the city. A local tour guide brought me to this huge concert hall for the "song festivals" and saw this statue of one of the composers (anybody knows who he is?). I just imitated his pondering posture which I'm sure a lot of other tourists have done!
This city of Tallinn became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site in 1997, and I can see why. Although bombed extensively during World War II, the city has retained it's medieval charm. A lot of tourists revel at charming Old Town, which is so nice to get lost at. I probably felt myself lost about ten times, but I just look at the high towers and some buildings as my "guides" as to where I was. Goods are also so much cheaper compared to other Scandivanian countries, and so many Finns/tourists ferry from Helsinki to shop here.
Up and down those streets without even looking at the map! It was just what I needed to forget that I am a year older! But who are the Estonians? With so much immigration and settling from Russia and the neighboring countries, it remains a challenge for the Estonians to preserve their national identity and traditions. But I think with more efforts in attracting people to visit, the world will know who the Estonians are. I tried to find out and I met very friendly people, some of them shy to answer my questions in English but you can see that they are glad we are visiting their country.
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!
I just made a short video of my trip to Tallinn! Hope you like it!
TALLINN ESTONIA by JUMPING NORMAN
- Pros:Food is great, medieval charm, inexpensive shopping
- Cons:Keep on forgetting double "nn" in Tallin, oops, Tallinn
- In a nutshell:Thanks Tallinn for spending my birthday with me!
If only I brought my running shoes --- the coast (Tallinn Bay) looked so inviting to run alongside with as I saw some... more travel advice
It's not only ethnic Estonians who live in this wonderful country --- there was a dramatic surge of immigrants coming... more travel advice
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Tallinn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shades of Grey"
- "Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New"
- "Tallinn - medieval spirit city"
- "In the bleak midwinter ..."
- "Towers and tiles and spires and cobbles."
- "Tallinn - Nordic beauty with soviet past"
- "Fairytale city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn
- Hotels in Tallinn
- Transportation in Tallinn
- Nightlife in Tallinn
- Restaurants in Tallinn
- Shopping in Tallinn
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tallinn
- 8 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Tallinn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to pass time at airports?"
- updated a Tallinn Travel Page "Spending my Birthday in Tallinn"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Tallinn travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Tallinn
- Wrote a Review Jog along the coast at Pirita Tee (Tallinn Bay) about Outskirts in Tallinn Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jog along the coast at Pirita Tee (Tallinn Bay)"
Photos in TallinnSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 52 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (318)
Latest Tallinn hotel reviews
- Radisson Blu Hotel Olumpia
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Domina Inn Ilmarine
- 227 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Merchant's House Hotel
- 291 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Old Town Maestro's
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel Telegraaf
- 512 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Viru
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Tallink Spa & Conference Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Rotermanni Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 25, 2006
- Hotell St. Barbara
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Baltic Hotel Vana Wiru
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Metropol Hotel
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Hotel Bern
- 328 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- City Guest House
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2008
- GoHotel Shnelli
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013