"PORVOO- Just an hour away by bus from Helsinki!" Porvoo by jumpingnorman
Porvoo Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 543 photos
I just rode the bus from the underground bus station in Helsinki to Porvoo (founded year 1346, second oldest city of Finland) for only 10.40 Euro - and it took only an hour. It was raining in Helsinki, but as we moved through the countryside, the sun started showing up. Then it was nice and bright in this nice little town!
Porvoo is a municipality situated on the southern coast of Finland approximately 50 kilometres (30 miles) east of Helsinki. The town received its name from a Swedish earth fortress near the river Porvoonjoki which flows through the town (Swedish Borgå, borg meaning castle and å river).
Early in the 19th century, Finland was annexed to Russia as an autonomous grand duchy. Tsar Alexander I convened the first diet in Porvoo in March 1809. In Porvoo Cathedral, he gave a sovereign pledge in which he ratified the country's religion, its constitutional laws and the rights of the estates.
Just walk about two blocks from the bus station in Porvoo and you're there - seeing those nice red houses on the river bank.
The town is famed for its "Old Town" (Gamla Stan in Swedish), a dense mediaeval street pattern with predominantly wooden houses. The central point of the old town is the medieval, stone and brick Porvoo Cathedral which gave its name to the Porvoo Communion - an inter-church agreement between a number of Anglican and Lutheran denominations.
There are nice shops around if you want to spend some Euros on antiques, but I just decided to walk around Porvoo. There was also a small mall/grocery on the main road where I got some treats...
As I walked through the streets, I remembered reading that Porvoo had a lot of conflicts and mishappenings over the centuries. At the beginning of the 16th century, Danes arrived by sea to destroy the city. The Russians burned Porvoo twice. In 1760, a Porvoo housewife made fish soup, and the fire it caused destroyed the majority of the buildings in the city. The last misfortune was the arson (vandals) on May 29, 2006 that greatly damaged a key landmark of Old Porvoo, the cathedral. The roof was totally destroyed but the interior was largely intact.
The red-coloured wooden storage buildings on the riverside are a proposed UNESCO world heritage. Hopefully, no more tragedies fall onto this charming little town.
- In a nutshell:Great Escape from the Hustle and Bustle
If you do not book a tour to Porvoo and wanted to go there some way other than riding a bus - then don't fret, you can... more travel advice
I read that Porvoo is considered the second oldest town in Finland, being chartered in 1346. And as you walk through... more travel advice
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Porvoo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porvoo - Borgå"
- "Porvoo - Captivating charm of Finland"
- "Charming town by the sea"
- "Porvoo ~ On the King's Road"
- "Porvoo (in Swedish Borgå)"
- "Porvoo, where my mind lives"
- "A Lovely Quaint Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porvoo
- Hotels in Porvoo
- Transportation in Porvoo
- Nightlife in Porvoo
- Restaurants in Porvoo
- Shopping in Porvoo
- Warnings and Dangers in Porvoo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Porvoo
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Porvoo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porvoo
Photos in PorvooSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 52 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues