"Jumping Around Helsinki!" Helsinki by jumpingnorman
Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,614 reviews and 7,274 photos
Among the Nordic countries, this is the one with the most unusual language - far removed from the English language (might be more related to Hungarian). I have read that immigration has not been too much here compared to Norway and Sweden, and so those doing manual labor in the streets are still mostly light-skinned.
Helsinki is the largest and most populated city of Finland (over half a million). It is in the southern part of the country, on the shore of the Gulf of Finland and by the Baltic Sea. It was founded in 1550 as a rival to the Hanseatic city of Reval (now known as Tallinn) by King Gustav I of Sweden, but the city was plagued by poverty, wars, and diseases for a long time. But now, the GDP per capita is roughly 1.5 times the national average, making Helsinki one of the wealthiest capitals in Europe.
The city is very easy to navigate, boasting one of the best transportation systems in Europe with the trams and buses, but there is only "one" line for the Metro. It is so compact, you can just walk to most of the major tourist spots and even ride a ferry easily to the Soumenlinna naval fortress, also known as Sveaborg (In Finnish: Viapori).
My arrival here was during the night and it was unfortunately raining, and I came in by ferry from Estonia. First thing I saw was the Market Square which I easily recognized from what I heard about Helsinki. And then the turtles...they were large cement turtles scattered in some parts of Helsinkii, so i took a picture of it.
The only European capital with no medieval history, Helsinki was formed after the Somenlinna fortress was formed by the Swedes to offset Russia’s dominance in the region. Helsinki flourished from a small peasant community to a major supporter of the fortress which in turn was aptly called the”Gibraltar of the North”, since it was considered almost as significant as Gibraltar fortress itself.
One of the most amazing fortresses in Europe - it's at least 5 islands (I think) joined by bridges. Can easily be reached from a ferry leaving Market Square. It was a little bit scary for me going through the catacomb-like arches but then I easily get scared due to my active imagination. I dare anyone to sit alone in one of those "caves" for 15 minutes - alone - and e-mail me if you did it without getting spooked! I just included here a picture of one of the arches I went into..."you are entering another dimension - on your next click..."
- Pros:excellent transportation system
- Cons:street names can be a little bigger (I urge the Finnish govt)
- In a nutshell:Wonderful city to explore!
Almost anybody who sees this massive building also known as “Tuomiokirkko” with so many “stairs” wants to go up to see... more travel advice
I took the ferry to Soumenlinna from Market Square, using the public HKL ferry which was covered by my Helsinki pass. It... more travel advice
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- "Helsinki, this is where I come from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to pass time at airports?"
- Uploaded a Video to Helsinki
- Commented on one of csordila's Helsinki travel pages
- updated a Helsinki Travel Page "Jumping Around Helsinki!"
- Wrote a Review Going up the Lutheran Cathedral Steps about Tuomiokirkko (The Lutheran Cathedral) in Helsinki Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shopping by the Three Blacksmiths"
Photos in HelsinkiSee All Photos (18)
Videos in HelsinkiSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 52 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (318)
Latest Helsinki hotel reviews
- Hotel Kamp
- 395 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Rivoli Jardin Hotel
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Haaga
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Lonnrot Hostel & Cafe
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
- Sokos Hotel Klaus Kurki
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Cumulus Olympia
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka
- 272 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Stadion Hostel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Accome Parliament
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hostel Suomenlinna
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013
- Martta Hotelli
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2008
- 199 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hilton Helsinki Strand
- 300 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- City Apartments
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Fenno Finn Apartments
- 1 Review & Opinion