"Jumping Around Johannesburg!" Johannesburg by jumpingnorman
Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,079 reviews and 2,209 photos
I had a great "guide and driver" who showed me around Joahannesburg. He brought me to one of the tallest towers (if not the tallest) in Johannesburg where you can have a magnificent view of the city.
There was a mall under this tower and from what I could see, I noted that a lot of the buildings in the city needed urgent repair, new paint. I could still see the people waiting for the buses from this viepoint, and the mountains looked great in the distance.
What I noticed as I was being driven around residential areas were the nice- looking houses with high perimeter walls topped by electric wires. This reminded me so much of my childhood home in the Philippines where our house was surrounded by high walls (like a fortress) and during that time, we had broken glass cemented on the top of walls to discourage burglars.
I did look at some diamonds, but ended up buying a Tanzanite instead for my wife because I liked this blue-hued gem whose intensity grows under the sun. I bought it at Jewel Africa who got me free taxi transfer to my hotel after my purchase.
Where's the Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, buffallo)?
Pilanesberg park is only two hours from Johannesburg, and I had my guide drive me around the huge reserve for about fours hours (starting at noontime). But all I saw were deers, birds and a few wild pigs...I guess the big animals were still asleep...I went at the wrong time of day!
However, despite my experience, the Pilanesberg Game Reserve is considered one of the most ambitious programmes of its kind to be undertaken anywhere in the world with over 10,000 animals. And I have seen lots of great safari pictures from fellow VT members.
But, not to worry, I went to Cape Town the next day and saw some elephants finally...
Upon entering the Apartheid Museum, I had to go through the non-white section, a way for visitors to realise how... more travel advice
Pilanesberg Park is only two hours from Johannesburg, and I had my guide drive me around the huge reserve for about... more travel advice
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Johannesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's really not as bad as you've been told!"
- "The Fast Life , Johannesburg"
- "Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold"
- "Believe it or not, this is a great city"
- "A brief visit to Johannesburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Johannesburg
- Hotels in Johannesburg
- Transportation in Johannesburg
- Nightlife in Johannesburg
- Restaurants in Johannesburg
- Shopping in Johannesburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Johannesburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Johannesburg
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johannesburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Facebook Cover Photo Contest!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Guess where I jumped in Johannesburg..."
- updated a Johannesburg Travelogue "Guess where I jumped in Johannesburg..."
- Commented on one of junecorlett's Johannesburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review See the Apartheid Museum and Know History! about Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg Things to Do
Photos in JohannesburgSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 52 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (319)
Latest Johannesburg hotel reviews
- Michelangelo Hotel
- 294 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Holiday Inn Garden Court Johannesburg Eastgate
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Park Hyatt Johannesburg
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Sunsquare Montecasino Hotel
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Formule 1 Johannesburg Park Station
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Sep 24, 2012
- The Westcliff Hotel
- 325 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Town Lodge Roodepoort
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Protea Hotel Gold Reef City
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Garden Court Milpark
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Saxon Boutique Hotel and Spa Johannesburg
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Protea Hotel Wanderers
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Splice Riviera
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013