"Jumping Around St John in the Caribbean!" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint John by jumpingnorman

Saint John Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 81 photos

Ferry from St Thomas

I was looking for a place to bring our two-year old twins - somewhere with a pristine beach and so my wife and I thought the Caribbean might be a good location...

St John has no airport. To travel to the island you’ll fly into St Thomas and take a 45 minute taxi ride to the Red Hook Ferry or 20 minute ride to the ferry in Charlotte Amalie. We chose the ferry!

It is the smallest of the three U.S. Virgin Islands, settled in the early 1700s by Danish immigrants as evidenced by trhe ruins of the Annaberg Sugar Plantation and other smaller plantations on the island.

My son trying to get into the "Postcard View"!

Anywhere you shoot, it looks like a postcard indeed!

The unspoiled forests and stunning beaches attracted the attention of wealthy families such as the Rockefellers, who sought privacy and tranquility on the island.

In 1956, Laurance Rockefeller was so moved by the island that he bought and donated broad expanses of land to the National Park Service to keep St. John "a thing of joy forever."

Today, two-thirds of St. John is part of the Virgin Islands National Park, featuring fascinating trails, secluded coves, and dazzling white beaches.

The Reef Bay Trail takes hikers through dense forests, plantation ruins, and rock outcroppings marked by well-preserved petroglyphs.

Trunk Bay, Hawksnest Bay, Cinnamon Bay, and Maho Bay are just four of the dozens of beaches. Cruz Bay, the center of activity on St. John, contains colorful shops, lively bars, and fabulous restaurants.

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

I made a short video of our first trip to the Caribbean!
Hope you like this:

JUMPING FAMILY IN ST THOMAS AND ST JOHN!

• Intro Updated Apr 4, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Wow Norman, the twins were so little then. That blue water looks so inviting. Nice page!

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Hey Norman! I've been kind of torturing myself going over these fantastic places. Loved the photos! Counting down for my holidays: 46 more days to go:(

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Hi, Norman! Yeah, I would have enjoyed my stay there with my family too...

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Hmmm... slavery. Nice tips.

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Very enticing indeed.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 1:17 PM

St. John used to be one of my favorite islands in the carribean, so quiet and clear water and a lot better than the touristy St. Thomas !

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Lovely Saint John page! Saint John seems to be a great tourist destination. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Terrific photographs of you and your beautiful family in your travelogue. The island is lovely, but the family outshines that beauty.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 1:53 AM

This sounds like place very close to paradise :) And what a coincidence, just two days ago I got postcard from the neighbourhood - the British Islands.

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 4:13 AM

The pic of the kids on the beach is adorable. How great it must be for them to be so well traveled at an early age....Good parents they have!

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Saint John

Have you been to Saint John?