"Jumping Around St John in the Caribbean!" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint John by jumpingnorman
Saint John Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 48 photos
I was looking for a place to bring our two-year old twins - somewhere with a pristine beach and so my wife and I thought the Caribbean might be a good location...
St John has no airport. To travel to the island you?ll fly into St Thomas and take a 45 minute taxi ride to the Red Hook Ferry or 20 minute ride to the ferry in Charlotte Amalie. We chose the ferry!
It is the smallest of the three U.S. Virgin Islands, settled in the early 1700s by Danish immigrants as evidenced by trhe ruins of the Annaberg Sugar Plantation and other smaller plantations on the island.
Anywhere you shoot, it looks like a postcard indeed!
The unspoiled forests and stunning beaches attracted the attention of wealthy families such as the Rockefellers, who sought privacy and tranquility on the island.
In 1956, Laurance Rockefeller was so moved by the island that he bought and donated broad expanses of land to the National Park Service to keep St. John "a thing of joy forever."
Today, two-thirds of St. John is part of the Virgin Islands National Park, featuring fascinating trails, secluded coves, and dazzling white beaches.
The Reef Bay Trail takes hikers through dense forests, plantation ruins, and rock outcroppings marked by well-preserved petroglyphs.
Trunk Bay, Hawksnest Bay, Cinnamon Bay, and Maho Bay are just four of the dozens of beaches. Cruz Bay, the center of activity on St. John, contains colorful shops, lively bars, and fabulous restaurants.
I made a short video of our first trip to the Caribbean!
Hope you like this:
JUMPING FAMILY IN ST THOMAS AND ST JOHN!
Here is a small part of the history of St. John, to better understand the nature of the islands... On November 23, 1733... more travel advice
This 15-kilometer island (the size of Manhattan?) of St John in the US Virgin Islands can be efficiently toured using... more travel advice
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Saint John Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jumping Around St John in the Caribbean!"
- "Hawksnest Beach"
- "St. John - a local's view"
- "Winter Escape!"
- "Arriving at St John"
- "St. John is Amazing!"
- "Maho Bay Ecotents"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint John
- Hotels in Saint John
- Restaurants in Saint John
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint John
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint John
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Saint John?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint John
Photos in Saint JohnSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues