"Jumping around Bogota!" Bogotá by jumpingnorman

Bogotá Travel Guide: 661 reviews and 1,547 photos

French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt was miraculously rescued in mid-2008 from her captors without a shot fired after being held since February 23, 2002. Because of these notorious kidnappings (and stories of druglords and gangs), Colombia is not a very favorite tourist destination despite the myriad of interests one can find in the beautiful city of Bogota.

So, I decided to go after seeing a TV special (Latin 5 Takes? on the Travel Channel) on the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral which is built into the walls of a salt mine nearly 600 feet into a mountain.

I hired a private sixty-year-old experienced driver "Meet my very kind driver who helped me jump around Bogota!" to bring me safely to the mine which was in the outskirts of Colombia. At the entrance I found the statue pictured here and I bought a representation of it made in salt along with a twelve-apostle sculpture in the subterranean shops.

La Catedral

I am pictured here in front of the Bogota Cathedral located on the Plaza Bolivar which is a good example of colonial religious architecture.

That White Cathedral on the Hill

I also had my driver bring me to the most famous peak - the Cerro de Montserrat at 3030 m. (10,000 ft) and a favorite with Bogoteños and tourists who go there for the spectacular views.

The church which has the statue of the Señor Caído Fallen Christ, is claimed to be a place of miracles. The top is accessible by climbing hundreds of stairs or by the cable car (which I decided to take instead! Much safer and quicker!)

• Intro Updated May 11, 2009

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 6:21 AM

I like the way you describe this place. I read a few pages from VT & I asked a Colombian friend in NY, I think you gave a honest opinion & this place look indeed interesting

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM

GReat intro photo of that fabulous statue. The Bogota Cathedral is so stunning! I bet stand out! The saltmines sound fanscinating! Wonderful page!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Jumping at such a high elevation must be a bit hard! The Zipaquira Saltmine and the cathedral are outstanding! I never heard of that place. I wonder why Bolivar has a Piazza and no Bulevar. I would love Bulevar Bolivar!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 4:27 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised with Bogota. It would not be a place I would think of visiting actually. The saltmines must be something to see & we also plan to see the saltmines near Krakow Poland next year. That is one funky hat you're wearing Norman.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Yep, I went to the saltmine in Poland as well. Wow, if a guy who speaks the language & yet don't feel safe here, then I can imagine how I'll feel if I venture here! I did have the urge to venture though... I'll need to look for a bodyguard!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 7:19 PM

pretty amazing church. guess we will have to go see it. thanks for the info

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I like the little airport in Bogota myself:-] Bogota seemed like a very nice place to visit as you aptly point out.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Bogotá is certainly a lovely city to visit. Zipaquira saltmine sounds interesting to visit! Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Wow, what a destination! Good for you, Norman! You've been blessed with so many exciting trips!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM

We only read dangerous stories about Columbia, there is so much to see and do and the freindly people.

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Bogotá