"Jumping around Bogota!" Bogotá by jumpingnorman
Bogotá Travel Guide: 665 reviews and 1,551 photos
French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt was miraculously rescued in mid-2008 from her captors without a shot fired after being held since February 23, 2002. Because of these notorious kidnappings (and stories of druglords and gangs), Colombia is not a very favorite tourist destination despite the myriad of interests one can find in the beautiful city of Bogota.
So, I decided to go after seeing a TV special (Latin 5 Takes? on the Travel Channel) on the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral which is built into the walls of a salt mine nearly 600 feet into a mountain.
I hired a private sixty-year-old experienced driver "Meet my very kind driver who helped me jump around Bogota!" to bring me safely to the mine which was in the outskirts of Colombia. At the entrance I found the statue pictured here and I bought a representation of it made in salt along with a twelve-apostle sculpture in the subterranean shops.
I am pictured here in front of the Bogota Cathedral located on the Plaza Bolivar which is a good example of colonial religious architecture.
I also had my driver bring me to the most famous peak - the Cerro de Montserrat at 3030 m. (10,000 ft) and a favorite with Bogoteños and tourists who go there for the spectacular views.
The church which has the statue of the Señor Caído Fallen Christ, is claimed to be a place of miracles. The top is accessible by climbing hundreds of stairs or by the cable car (which I decided to take instead! Much safer and quicker!)
We were walking in La Candelaria, Bogota and I noticed this wonderful church and took pictures. I find out later that... more travel advice
My driver/guide was thinking of where to bring me next in Bogota and I said I did like going to Parks and so he brought... more travel advice
jumpingnorman's Related Pages
Bogotá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bogota Revealed"
- "The Heart of Colombia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bogotá
- Hotels in Bogotá
- Transportation in Bogotá
- Nightlife in Bogotá
- Restaurants in Bogotá
- Shopping in Bogotá
- Warnings and Dangers in Bogotá
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bogotá
- 11 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Bogotá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bogotá
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Unexpectedly in Lisbon next..."
- Wrote a Review Iglesia del carmen - looks like a wedding cake! about Iglesia del Carmen in Bogotá Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Metropolitan Park Simon Bolivar"
- updated a Bogotá Travel Page "Jumping around Bogota!"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Bogotá travel pages
Photos in BogotáSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karnak Intro, 6 reviews, 89 photos, 10 travelogues
- Glendale Intro, 15 reviews, 77 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pasay City Intro, 1 review, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 85 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandaluyong Intro, 85 photos, 10 travelogues