"ONE DAY, ONE TAIPEI!" Taipei by jumpingnorman

Taipei Travel Guide: 1,398 reviews and 3,810 photos

I was in the Philippines doing a tiring medical mission and needed a break for the weekend. It also happened to be the Chinese New Year weekend, so I decided to fly to nearby Taipei! Hahaha

It was a crazy decision since the flight (from Cebu Pacific which offers the lowest fares from Manila) arrived just after midnight on that Saturday, and then I also left right after the next midnight.

So, there was no time to check-in to a hotel. All I had was backpack, and extra shirt and my Blackberry! Haha ---

Once in the airport, I just rode the last final bus for the day going to the Taipei Main Station (about 45-60 minutes of bus riding) - when I arrived there it was closed! and dark....but I just walked a bit and found a bus station where I took a nap for 3 hours before I explored Taipei!

While in the bus station, I was also on Facebook and a VT member rottenbadtz, also known with nickname Yen, decided to take a day off from work in Taiwan to show me around! Awesome! An instant VT Meet...

Before I met Yen at about 11 AM, I went around to visit the Taipei 101 and a nearby temple. The subways of Taipei are so easy to use, and the signs are easy - both in Chinese letters and English :)

Also, during this Saturday of the Chinese New Year 2011 (Rabbit), the people were going to the International Flora Expo which had been going on for weeks (and will be heading off to China in a few more weeks). The lines of people at the Expo were so long!!!! Hahaha....so we just peeked at the Expo through the fences, and then spend most of the day going from temple to temple, riding the subway and taxis, walking and walking, and getting lost through the night markets --- needless to say, Yen and I got so tired, hahaha! This was Yen's (rottenbadtz's) first VT Meet! And it was with me, JumpingNorman :)

In just one day, I did a gruelling itinerary to just see major highlights of Taipei. This is the list of the places I visited:

Taipei 101
Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall

National palace Museum
Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall

Longshan and Xingtian Temples

Shilin Night Market
Huaxi Street Tourist Night Market - "Snake Alley"

Dajia Wharf on Keelung River - Dazhi Bridge

Grand Hotel

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

I made a short video of this day trip to Taipei. Hope you like it!

A DAY IN TAIPEI BY JUMPINGNORMAN

• Intro Updated Mar 11, 2013

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Norman you have so much energy! Can't believe you saw so much in such a short time and on virtually no sleep! You're amazing! Great transportation tip!

• rottenbadtz's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM

snake alley where we got in looking for a way out of the market lol! remember that old man... that grin on his face...grrrrrrrrrrr thanks Kuya!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Hi, Norman! You've visited Taipei! Good for you! ~

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Good tip Norman.

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Badges & Stats in Taipei