"Gyangze, what will it look like when finished?" Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze by tompt
Gyangze Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 274 photos
We reached Gyangze after a long day in the bus from Lhasa. The normal road was blocked, because of a landslide. This is normal in the rainy season, but it meant a long detour for us.
When the bus turned into the main street it looked like a mudpool. The town was installing a sewer system and they decided to start everywhere at the same time. There was no normal road left. But everybody was working very hard and we are really wondering what this town will look like when it is finished....
Gyangze has two main sites a visitor should go to:
- the Dzong, an old fort on the top of the mountain.
Besides the fort there is a small anti-british museum.
- the Pelkor Chöde Monastery, with the Kumbum (stupa)
inside its walls. The walls winding along the mountain
reminded us of the Great Wall.
But besides these two highlights it is also nice to walk through the streets of old Gyangze and just enjoy the rural feeling. Cows in front of the houses makes you feel like walking through a stable.
This must have been the way the entire country looked hundred years ago.
Talking about 100 years ago..... On the 5th of April 1904 the British invaded Gyangze. The Tibetan army and the civilians resisted with ancient guns and stones, while the Dzong became a fortified point of defense.
The British army cut off the water supply, but the Tibetans persisted despite all difficulties.
They fought with swords, spears, and whatever they could lay their hands on, but they had to give up after three months. For their side of the story visit the Dzong and anti-british museum.
Gyangze is located in the southern part of the Tibetan Autonomous Region along the Nyang Qu river. The county covers an... more travel advice
The Jian Zang hotel has some very nice relative new rooms. They are clean and spacious. A thermos with hot water to make... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Gyangze Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GORGEOUS GYANGZE!"
- "Gyangze, what will it look like when finished?"
- "Check it out! One of the best places in Tibet!"
- "Gyantse`s Pelkor Chöde Monastery, Kumbum and Dzong"
- "A sprawling city hosting a stunning monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gyangze
- Hotels in Gyangze
- Transportation in Gyangze
- Restaurants in Gyangze
- Warnings and Dangers in Gyangze
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bastia Hotels
- Independant State of Samoa
- Kyyivs'ka Oblast'
- Naselje Ledine (historical) Hotels
- Central Province Hotels
- Corvara in Badia
- Provincia de Mendoza Hotels
- El Puerto de Santa María
- Ocean City
- San Marcos
- Stargard Szczecinski
- Ripponden Hotels
- Trabzon Hotels
Badges & Stats in Gyangze
- 15 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Gyangze?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gyangze
Photos in GyangzeSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Latest Gyangze hotel reviews
- Gyantse Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013