"Xiahe, the old tibetan traditions" Top 5 Page for this destination Xiahe by tompt
Xiahe Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 216 photos
Xiahe is not officially in Tibet now, but it once belonged to Tibet and the presence of the important Labrang monastery keeps the tibetan traditions very much alive. The Labrang Monastery is one of the major Gelugpa monasteries, the Gelugpa are also known as the Yellow hat order, because of the yellow hats they wear before a ceremony .
More pictures of monks in the travelogues.
If you want to see a moving picture you can watch a short movie by us here.
As said before the tibetan traditions are very much alive in Xiahe. A 3 km (2 mile) pilgrimroute (kora) round the monastery is the way the pilgrims begin the day. The kora is lined with prayerwheels and walking clockwise round the monastery you can turn several hundred of them, sending the prayers to heaven.
See a short movie made by us with pilgrims turning the prayerwheels here.
There is also a short movie with praying pilgrims in Xiahe.
The city of Xiahe has 150.000 inhabitants. It is at an height of 2900 meters. There is one main street, on the east live the chinese Han and the Hui (muslims) in the west is the Tibetan area, this is also where the Labrang Monastery is located.
It is also easy to recognise the muslim men. They all wear a kind of white hat. This men are Huí, a Chinese ethnic... more travel advice
The main street of Xiahe is always busy. But if you take time to walk into the smaller side streets you might encounter... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Xiahe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Famous Temple and Monastery"
- "Xiahe, the old tibetan traditions"
- "Labrang Lamasery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xiahe
- Hotels in Xiahe
- Transportation in Xiahe
- Restaurants in Xiahe
- Warnings and Dangers in Xiahe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xiahe
- 16 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Xiahe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xiahe
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues