"Lhasa, the capital of pilgrims" Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa by tompt
Lhasa Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,371 photos
Lhasa is the capital city of Tibet. It was also the city of the Dalai Lamas and it now is the capital of the pilgrims. Many Tibetans come to the city to walk the pilgrim routes like the Barkhor, around the Jokhang temple, or the Nangkhor, inside the Jokhang, and the Lingkhor, a traditional route around the city. There is also a Kora around the Potala palace, the palace of the Dalai Lama.
The city has a population of 200,000 who live at an elevation of 3595 meters. It became the capital of Tibet when Songsten Gampo in the 7th century unified Tibet. He built a palace at the hill you will find the Potala now. And the Jokhang and Ramoche temple were established to house the Buddha statues of his two wives.
Later the power shifted to Sakya, Xigaze. To come back to Lhasa in 1642 when the 5th Dalai Lama built his palace (the Potala) on the ruins of the palace of Songsten Gampo.
The traditional Tibetan arts and dances can still be found in Tibet, although this was a dance special for the tourists, we saw this kind of dances later at a festival at the Sakya Monastery too.
Sera Monastery is one of the 3 largest monasteries of the Gelugpa. It is located at north of Lhasa at the foot of the... more travel advice
One of our favorite tibetan dishes are the momos. It is a dough with filling. You can get the variety with meat or the... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Lhasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lhasa, the pilgrim capital of Tibet"
- "LHASA AT LHAST!"
- "Lhasa, the capital of pilgrims"
- "Go to Lhasa before its ruined!!!"
- "Lhasa! Lookie Lookie!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lhasa
- Hotels in Lhasa
- Transportation in Lhasa
- Nightlife in Lhasa
- Restaurants in Lhasa
- Shopping in Lhasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Lhasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lhasa
- 27 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Lhasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lhasa
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues