"Takayama" Takayama by tompt
Takayama Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 544 photos
Takayama is a city where tourism is big. In 2001 we arrived in a weekend and busses full of Japanese tourists drove through the city. All this tourists went to the ´old streets´ in town center. The old houses in that streets are almost all souvenirshops. To fully enjoy the scenery you had better not go during the weekend.
So we went back in april 2003 and this time we visited on a monday. Still busy with tourists, japanese and foreigners. But if you go to some of the beathen path atractions it is alright.
Hida Takayama tourist info: http://www.hida.jp/e-taka.htm
Things we visited in Takayama:
- Takayama Jinya, an old government house turned into a museum.
- Hida Folk Village, an openair museum with old houses from this area.
- Yatai Kaikan, festival floats exhibition hall.
- Nikko in miniature, on the same grounds with the same ticket...
- Shiroyama Park, a nice walk around the remains of the old castle.
The sarubobo is seen all over Takayama. Look for the small faceless doll. It is a kind of good luck charm. Saru ... more travel advice
If you cannot be in Takayama at the time of the Spring and Autumn festivals you still can see four of the eleven floats... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Takayama Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming mountain town"
- "Historic Castle Town of Takayama"
- "TAKAYAMA - traditional village in the clouds"
- "Taking it slow in Takayama"
- "TAKAYAMA THE CITY OF THE BEST 3 MATSURI IN JAPAN"
- " Takayama "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Takayama
- Hotels in Takayama
- Transportation in Takayama
- Restaurants in Takayama
- Shopping in Takayama
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Takayama
- 23 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Takayama?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Takayama
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues