"The rift valley, safari and viewpoints" Rift Valley Province by tompt
Rift Valley Province Travel Guide: 1,321 reviews and 4,019 photos
The Great Rift Valley extends from North Syria to central Mozambique and is about 3,000 miles (4,830 km) long. The valley varies in width from 30-100 km and in depth from a few hundred to several thousand meters. Erosion has concealed some sections, but in Kenya, there are cliffs several thousand feet high. The rift dates from the Pleistocene (around 35 million years ago) and is probably a result of a rifting process associated with thermal currents.
As the valley has no outlet to the sea, its lakes tend to be shallow and have a high mineral content as the evaporation of water leaves the salts behind. Lake Naivasha is supplied by freshwater springs to support its biological variety.
The Great Rift Valley Province in Kenya hosts many tourist attractions.
We visited a few of them: the gameparks Masai Mara and Amboseli, the Lake Navaisha.
All of these destinations have their own pages here on VT.
As the tourists come by, there are several souvenirshops located at the rim of the Rift Valley. This is an area in the mountains, getting cold for Kenyan standards so they sell woolen hats and sheepskins... next to the Masai blankets and the curio.
Driving up north from Nairobi we had some great views of the Valley. Then after about one hour the fresh water lake Navaisha appeared. This was our destination, we made a boattrip on the lake, saw a giraffe cross the shallow waters, and relaxed at the Lake Navaisha Country Club. More at our local pages.
The famous Masai Mara is bordering the Serengeti park in Tanzania. Wildebeest and zebra migrate from one park to the... more travel advice
The Amboseli National Park is a nice gamepark located in the shadow of Mt Kilimanjaro at the border with Tanzania. The... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Rift Valley Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rift Valley"
- "The rift valley, safari and viewpoints"
- "The Rift Valley"
- "trippingstonefree greatriftvalley"
- "Jumping in Rift Valley Province!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rift Valley Province
- Hotels in Rift Valley Province
- Transportation in Rift Valley Province
- Nightlife in Rift Valley Province
- Restaurants in Rift Valley Province
- Shopping in Rift Valley Province
- Warnings and Dangers in Rift Valley Province
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rift Valley Province
- 30 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Rift Valley Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rift Valley Province
Photos in Rift Valley ProvinceSee All Photos (163)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues