"Abcoude, a hidden treasure" Abcoude by tompt
Abcoude Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 38 photos
Abcoude, hidden under the Amsterdam skyline, is almost 1000 years old. In 1085 Koenraad, bisshop of Utrecht, first wrote about habitatores de Abecenwalde. It was located on the border of the county Holland and the diocese Utrecht. Today that is on the border of the provinces Utrecht and Noordholland. The castle Abcoude was first mentioned in 1274, when it was destroyed by Gijsbrecht van Amstel. It was rebuilt then , but today there is nothing left of it. Altough some say you can see its foundations somewhere in the green meadows around the village.
The area around the village is famous for its natural treasures. It is a swampy area with the rivers Angstel, Gein, Holendecht, Winkel, Waver and Vecht streaming through it. Along the Angstel the village of Abcoude can be found.
Near Abcoude are two natural treasures: the Geinarea and Botshol.
The Geinarea is a dutch Hollands polderlandscape as it should be. Green meadows, water and farmhouses.
Botshol is a nature reserve with a protected birdbreeding area, with water and reed.
So Abcoude is a perfect place to make a tour through the Green Hart Hart of Holland. Either walk, take your bicycle or do it easy on your motorbike or in a car. The area is just great for a nice day out. in Abcoude itself there are several bars and restaurant to help you revive after a lovely day.
http://www.vvvhollandsmidden.nl/, the tourist office of the area.
This street was made in 1685 to connect Amsterdam with Utrecht. Untill 1950 it was the main road between these two... more travel advice
Touring around the area on a sunny day it is time to have a rest in ABcoude. There are several place for you to have a... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Abcoude Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Abcoude
- 15 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Abcoude?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abcoude
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues