Amsterdam Local Custom Tips by tompt
Amsterdam Local Customs: 412 reviews and 406 photos
not very effective.....
Along the canals you will see these low fences. They were built in the early 1960's. It costed the city 100 dutch guilders (= 45 Euro)a meter, which was a lot of money that time.
They are put here to prevent parking cars from falling over the edge. But it doesn't work very good, because an average of 1 car a week is going for a swim.
Once i witnessed such an accident. I was working at the Keizersgracht at that time approx 20 years ago. Looking through the window from the third floor we saw a woman driving forward instead of backward. As she and her car were in the water people gathered to watch it. Nobody jumped after her although she was shouting she could not swim. The firebrigade came just in time and rescued her seconds before the car went to the bottom. This accident didn't make me go to swimming lessons, but it made me more carefull...... (Gonnie)
The word coffeeshop has become synonymous with a special kind of coffee shop. These places do sell coffee and have one or more tables to sit and drink it but, their primary commodity is cannabis. These days they are licensed by the local council and subject to regulation. A strict minimum age of 18 is enforced.
More Reviews (59)
- See All Eat and drink beer
- See All black day in history
- See All Anne Frank
- See All travel in style
- See All Old & New Delftware
tompt's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 61 Reviews
- 138 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do