"The cyclists problem: the Cauberg" Cauberg by tompt
Cauberg Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 27 photos
The most famous "mountain" (berg in dutch) in the Netherlands is probably the Cauberg. Not more than just a street in the centre of Valkenburg to some, but the most feared street to cyclists.
The Cauberg is about 800 meters long and climbs 8% overall (12% maximum). Not so special but the most famous in our country because the world championship cycling has ben decided here several times.
If you want to cycle it yourself be aware there are cars at this road, and it is a busy road from Valkenburg to Maastricht. The road is wide enough though. The first 300 meters are looking flat..... between 400 and 700 meters is the steepest part ending with another flatter part for the last 300m. The Cauberg is defenitely not the worst climb in Limburg, but it is the most famous.
The ambiance of the Cauberg is great. At the bottom, in the center of Valkenburg, it is filled with terraces, a great place to sit in the sun and see the sportive cyclists pass by.
Or take a rest after the climb, like Tom did after the 150km Amstel Gold Race (tourversion) in april 2004.
The two hours before Gonnie was waiting for the guys to return and cheer them up the hill (great weather to do that). Drinking a cold beer and talking to the other people waiting on their friends or husbands. The mobile gave a beep, "Tom just started the Cauberg" the text message said. Believe it or not after two hours waiting she missed him and his two friends...... they passed without her noticing.
Books and songs are written about the Cauberg, but we will probably use this page to put some Valkenburg pictures in the travelogues. As The Cauberg is just a street in Valkenburg we tought it would be alright. The tips will be about the Cauberg exclusively !
At the Cauberg you will find several touristattractions like the Gemeentegrot, Lourdesgrot, Holland Casino and more........
- Pros:downhill goes great.....
- Cons:steeper than you expect
- In a nutshell:a must for all sportive cyclists
Also on the same graveyard, a special area with some simple white crosses. These simple graves belong to the Paters HH... more travel advice
Maybe you are thinking graveyards are creepy but this one is really worth a visit. There are many beautiful graves, some... more travel advice
Written May 11, 2005
Marlstone and more on the Cauberg
Written Apr 21, 2005
tompt's Related Pages
Cauberg Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cauberg
- 11 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Cauberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cauberg
Photos in CaubergSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues