De Kiel Things to Do Tips by tompt
De Kiel Things to Do: 2 reviews and 6 photos
From de Kiel it is only 5 minutes on foot before you reach the woods of 'Boswachterij Sleenerzand'.
When you enter the woods there is an info panel with a map and a signposted walking route starts here too. The blue 5 km route is nice if you have only a short time here.
But you can also buy a map and walk south to the monolithic grave called Papeloze Kerk.
Along the way you encounter all sorts of art. And hopefully you will see some birds or other animals.
The trees in Boswachterij Sleenerzand are planted around 1930. Since then it grew to a wooded area with dark patches of coniferous trees and lighter parts with trees with leaves. In between you will find some small pools and heathlands. From the ice ages there are still glacier pits and old boulders brought here by the glaciers to see.
the Kielse Kei
The Kielse Kei is a large boulder brought here from Scandinavia by the glaciers of the last ice age.
It is estimated that the boulder weighs 25,6 metric ton, which makes it the almost largest boulder of Drenthe.
The Kielse Kei is located in the woods. When you walk from de Kiel straight ahead into the forest you will find a small signpost to your left. Follow that path to reach the boulder.
tompt's Related Pages
De Kiel Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Pretoria Hotels
- Mount Airy Hotels
- Sugar Mountain Hotels
- Ocho Rios Hotels
- Bergen op Zoom
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in De Kiel
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to De Kiel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in De Kiel
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues