"A small place in Drenthe called de Kiel." De Kiel by tompt
De Kiel Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 17 photos
De Kiel is a very small town in Drenthe. There are no shops in de Kiel, but there is one restaurant and lots of places to stay.
We stayed at minicamping Klaver Vier. The long weekend of Whitsuntide promised to be sunny and warm so we joined Peter and Willeke on a camping weekend.
The name de Kiel derived from the spot where road cross in an odd way. At this point once 7 Marken (sort of old municipalities) bordered. There is a stone marking this spot, at the entrance to the woods.
As de Kiel itself has little to offer you have to venture out. The woods are on 5 minutes away on foot.
There is a marked 5km route. The blue wooden poles brings you through variable types of forest and along some pools (not for swimming). It is a nice walk, taking just over an hour to see and enjoy everything.
But if you buy a map from a VVV office (in a larger neighbouring town like Borger) you can create your own longer routes. We walked to the megalithic grave called 'de Paapse Kerk'. It took us 5 relaxing hours including lunch near the half way point.
If you don't like camping you can also rent a holiday chalet in de Kiel. But where ever you sleep, you have to find entertainment elsewhere.
Besides walking this area is great for riding your bicycle. In the woods near Schoonoord (2km away) there are special off road tracks.
And for the normal cyclist you can follow one of the many signposted ANWB routes.
We followed the Drenthse Bosroute. It took is through woods and fields and we came along camp Westerbork and the radio telescopes nearby.
This route will be described better in our tips and travelogues.
The Kielse Kei is a large boulder brought here from Scandinavia by the glaciers of the last ice age. It is estimated... more travel advice
Gonnies' brother and his wife were testing there new tent. We visited them and because the forecast was great we brought... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
De Kiel Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in De Kiel
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to De Kiel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in De Kiel
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues