"Giethoorn, a village along the waters" Top 5 Page for this destination Giethoorn by tompt
Giethoorn Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 151 photos
The village owes it characteristic appearance to peatdigging. The peatdiggers dug up the peat-soil at the places that most suited them, mixed it in a trough and spread it out on the land to dry. The result could be cut as peat. This peatdigging led to the formation of large and small lakes. To transport the peat, canals were excavated. Many houses were built on little islands, reached through a high bridge. All the transport, cattle groceries, humans was done over the canals. The special boats, punters, used for this transportation can now be rented to make your own trip.
Giethoorn was founded by a group of fugitives, from regions bordering the Mediteranean around 1230 . They were fleeing for religious prosecution s and the plague. These first inhabitants found many horns of wild goats, which had probably died in 1170 during the St. Elizabeth's flood. They called their settlement Geytenhorn (geit = goat). This name later became Giethoorn.
In the 16th century other religious refugees (Doopsgezinden) came to Giethoorn. The religious background of the inhabitants can still be seen around Giethoorn.
Giethoorn has about 2500 habitants. Many of them still live in the 18th and 19th century farmhouses hidden between the trees and wooden bridges. Of course all this is best viewed from the water in a rented boat or on a canal tour.
There are also some museums to visit.
More info about Giethoorn at the VVV (tourist info)
8355 AM Giethoorn
This Museum farmhouse is rebuilt and decorated in old style in 1988. It gives an impression of life in Giethoorn 100... more travel advice
Ofcourse it is very cool to rent a punter and glide through the camals of Giethoorn. But don't think you can punter and... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Giethoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An unusual natural environment"
- "Giethoorn - Venice of the North"
- "Giethoorn, a village along the waters"
- "Dutch Venice or Venice of the north"
- "Giethoorn, watervillage"
- "Picture Perfect"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Giethoorn
- Hotels in Giethoorn
- Transportation in Giethoorn
- Restaurants in Giethoorn
- Shopping in Giethoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Giethoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Giethoorn
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Giethoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Giethoorn
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues