"Groningen above all." Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen by tompt
Groningen Travel Guide: 433 reviews and 1,074 photos
Groningen is the capital city of the province Groningen in the north of our country. The provincial slogan says it all: There is nothing above Groningen.
Nighthawk organised a VT meeting in Groningen on the 23rd of August 2003. This was a great excuse for us to book a hotel and stay a weekend up north. When we left home on saturday morning the weather was not looking very good. And during the two hour drive it rained, no it poored down. But as we reached Groningen province the sun came from behind the clowds and we enjoyed a very sunny weekend. The meeting started at the terrace of the Groninger museum. A building that some love and others hate. Either way it is a real eyecatcher. We enjoyed our drink in the sun and in the meantime everybody for the meeting arrived. Attending: igraine, martin_nl, iver, pieter_jan_v with wife and son, imaniac, nathalie_B, nighthawk and daughter, us. Nighthawk showed us some nice buildings many examples of the Amsterdam school, a movement in architecture. We arrived at the Grote Markt, the carnival in honor of Gronings ontzet was very loud.
Some of us climbed the Martini toren. This tower is 96.8 meters high.
In 1482 ,when it was built, the tower was 127 meters high. In 1577 a festive fire was lite in the tower to celebrate the end of war. The tower caught fire and burnt down to 69 meter. In 1627 it was restored and since then it measures 96,80 meter.
After a quick bite we walked another part of the city. We saw interesting buildings, statues and churches.
And ended up at this small harbour (ofcourse at the pub at the other side of the water.....)
The entire meeting story with pics can be found in our travelogues.
If you would like some info on Groningen on internet:
- tourist office: http://www.vvvgroningen.nl/
- history of Groningen: http://www.groningerarchieven.nl/
- city of Groningen: http://www.groningen.nl/
- internet newspaper Groningen (dutch only): http://www.gic.nl
Or see our tips which have nothing to do with the meeting except we took some of the picture during the meeting.
The municipal works office is a colourful building in the Amsterdam School style. It is designed by architect S.J.... more travel advice
The recently restored cathedral church of bisdom Groningen is a design by P.J.H. Cuypers. The church was consecrated in... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Groningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Groningen, a city I love!"
- "Groningen above all."
- "One of the world’s leading bicycle cities"
- "Citizens of Groningen are more courteous"
- "ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN"
- "In the old days"
- "VT-meeting I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Groningen
- Hotels in Groningen
- Transportation in Groningen
- Nightlife in Groningen
- Restaurants in Groningen
- Shopping in Groningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Groningen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mo i Rana
- Bagan Luar Hotels
- Freeport City
- Isla Holbox
- Daytona Beach
- Pearl City Hotels
- Pulau Babi Tengah Hotels
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil
- State of Himachal Pradesh Hotels
- Antelope Island
- Sirhind Hotels
- Wichita Falls
- Lake Corpus Christi State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Groningen
- 31 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Groningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Groningen
Photos in GroningenSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Latest Groningen hotel reviews
- Golden Tulip Paterswolde Groningen
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Hampshire Hotel - Groningen
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Hotel Schimmelpenninck Huys
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Simplon Youthhotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Stadskanaal
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013
- Martini Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013
- Hotel De Doelen
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- NH Groningen
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- NH Hotel De Ville
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Eden Cityhotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hampshire Hotel - Plaza Groningen
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013