"Leiden, where Rembrandt was born in 1606" Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden by tompt
Leiden Travel Guide: 615 reviews and 1,436 photos
Leiden is a much underrated city in the Netherlands. We live closeby, but never did we really discover the secrets of Leiden. Untill december 2005, a group of VTers came to our neighbourhoood and we decided on a citywalk in Leiden. Much to our surprise it was a day to remember, and a certain must do again!
Leiden is an old city, 300 years BC the first settlers (farmers) came to the banks of the Rhine here. The Roman Empire had its northern border around here. They left the area around 200 AD and Leiden was forgotten untill around 900 AD. A fortress was built on the banks of the old Rhine. The Rhine was silted up and the river found another way to the sea. The river that remained was called Old Rhine.The fortress and the city became important, the Counts of Holland came to live here. In 1266 Leiden got city rights, and became more important after the first university of the Netherlands was built here in 1581.
In the Golden Ages Leiden was the mosty important city around. But today Leiden is forgotten. And Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht steaal the spotlight. This is absolutely not doing justice to Leiden.
Leiden is also the city where many famous dutch where born. The painters: Gerrit Dou, Jan Steen, Jan van Goyen, Lucas van Leyden and ofcourse the most famous: Rembrandt van Rijn in 1606.
The city also produced many famous scientists. Albert Einstein was a professor at its University. The Royal Dutch Family also studied in Leiden.
Because it is 400 years since Rembrandt was born here, there are many festivities in his honor in 2006. The first expositions started in december 2005. There is a special city walk around the places he lived, studied and painted. The booklet of the citywalk is availlable at the VVV (touristinfo).
Discover the inner city of Leiden, which layout didn't cvhange much since Rembrandt walked around here.
Other interesting city walks are:
- The Leiden Loop, a roundtrip along the most important monuments of Leiden. It took us about 3 hours to complete it, but then we had 11 people taking pictures.......
- A walk along the Almshouses of Leiden. Almshouses (17th-18th century) are houses built by rich people for the poor. They hoped to ensure their place in heaven that way.
A booklet of both walks is availlable at the VVV (Touristinfo), Stationsweg 2D.
More info about Leiden at the website of the touristinfo:
A great place to have a warm drink and / or a bite to heat during the citywalk is the Koetshuis at the foot of the... more travel advice
At windmill de Put go right to see the Morspoort. Leiden had originally 8 citygates, only two remain now. The... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Leiden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rembrandt, Boerhaave, Pelgrim Fathers, University"
- "Leiden, where Rembrandt was born in 1606"
- "I Love Leiden"
- "Leiden a city with a history"
- "A Rainy Morning Wander"
- "The key to ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leiden
- Hotels in Leiden
- Transportation in Leiden
- Nightlife in Leiden
- Restaurants in Leiden
- Shopping in Leiden
- Warnings and Dangers in Leiden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leiden
- 30 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Leiden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leiden
Photos in LeidenSee All Photos (131)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues