"Maastricht ,an undutch city." Maastricht by tompt
Maastricht Travel Guide: 1,372 reviews and 3,586 photos
Maastricht is one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands. And altough that is not the main reason to like it so much we tought we should put the history of Maastricht in a short version here.
The bridge over the Maas at Maastricht was important in Roman times, because it linked Gaul to Germany. It was built under Emperor Augustus (27 B.C. -14 A.D.). A small trading settlement grew up around the bridge. In the third century Germanic tribes attacked as the Roman Empire weakened. The bridge at Maastricht was protected by a wall with round towers and a dry moat. The Christian bishop, St. Servaas, seeked refuge in Maastricht and established a Christian community. The Onze Lieve Vrouwe church grew up from this foundation. Around the year 384, Servaas died and was buried beside the Roman road. On this site some 150 years later a chapel was build which was to grow into the church of St. Servaas, the city's second great church. In 722 the Bishop's see moved to Liège.
Maastricht was ruled by many different rules amonhgst them the germans, the austrians, the french and the spanish it would take too long to discribe it all here. But the bottomline is that the city always stayed an important crossroad along the river Maas. And today it is still an important Catholic stronghold in our country.
The expanded version of this short history can be found at the website of the municipality of Maastricht: http://www.maastricht.nl/
Maybe it is because of all those different rulers, maybe it is because large of the netherlands are not catholic anymore, but Maastricht is certainly different from other dutch cities.
It is a city to relax in, forget your troubles and enjoy life in the capital of Limburg.
Maastricht was always connected to nearby european cities like Aachen (Germany) and Liége (Belgium). The cities in this region work together economicaly. The airport near to Maastricht is an example it is called Maastricht - Aachen airport.
Maastricht is also the birthplace of the Euro. Here, during a european top meeting in 1991, the decision was made to establish a new monatary unit for most of europe. Not every country went along but since 2002 you can pay with the new coin in 12 countries.
In Maastricht there is a square called square 1992 to remember this important treaty, known as the Maastricht treaty.
What to do around Maastricht when you are tired of the busy city (can't imagine, but ......)
Maastricht is situated in the very south of our country, the only part with mountains. That is what we call them, but none of these hills reach over 322 meter. But in this hilly landscape you can walk or ride your bicycle through green forests and along green acres.
See the wine area just south of the city, or visit a castle.
And when you are tired of our country there are other possibilities too. Maastricht is situated close to the border of our country. Belgium and also Germany are just minutes away......
- http://www.vvvmaastricht.nl/, website of the Maastricht Tourist Info.
- http://www.maastricht.nl/, the website of the municipality.
- http://www.maastrichtnet.nl/, only in dutch, a cultural and entertainment calender.
Between 1773-1777 Colonel-Ingenieur Carel Diederick Du Moulin made the plans for the Hoge Fronten, a 15 hectare defence... more travel advice
After burning the candle and visiting the church you can have a break at the square in front of the church. There are... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Maastricht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maastricht: Where life is Good!"
- "Limbourgeois at its best"
- "Maastricht -- beautiful city on the Maas"
- "Not At All What I'd Expected!"
- "The Netherlands’ Deep South"
- "Enjoying the Burgundian Lifestyle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maastricht
- Hotels in Maastricht
- Transportation in Maastricht
- Nightlife in Maastricht
- Restaurants in Maastricht
- Shopping in Maastricht
- Warnings and Dangers in Maastricht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maastricht
- 6 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Maastricht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maastricht
- updated a Maastricht Travel Page "Maastricht ,an undutch city."
- Posted in Travel Utrecht Forum "Re: Utrecht op Zondag"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Maastricht ,an undutch city."
- Wrote a Review Hoge Fronten, naturereserve inside the city about Fortifications in Maastricht Things to Do
- Commented on one of eden_teuling's Maastricht travel pages
Photos in MaastrichtSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues