"Nieuwveen, nothing new about it....." Nieuwveen by tompt
Nieuwveen Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 36 photos
Nieuwveen is the largest village in the municipality of Liemeer. 3809 people live in Nieuwveen (01-01-2005). Townhall of Liemeer, a modern building, stands at the edge of the village.
All my life i have known Nieuwveen to be the place where there are more lunatics on the loose than locked up. Ofcourse this was the vision of the people born and living in the neighbouring Zevenhoven, the second village of Liemeer. Fact is that in Nieuwveen you will find the Ursula, a place where mentally handicapped live and work. The Ursula is a part of the joint foundation De Bruggen. The grounds of the home are open to the public. And except for a nice walk you can also go to the petting farm.
In the northern part of Nieuwveen there are a lot of greenhouses. There are a lot of people here earning their money in the horticulture.
The name Nieuwveen means new peat. Ofcourse this is relating to the time peat was won in the area. But today there is nothing new about Nieuwveen.
So what should you do when you find yourself in Nieuwveen?
My first choice would be to walk along the dikes. There are several dikes you may walk on, just across the field along the cows and enjoying the countryside. One route which is taking you there is the Ursula route, it is signposted. More about the Ursula route in our first travelogue. I will add other some routes in the other travelogues.
The other choice is to meet us, in Noordeinde, just a few minutes away.
And last, but not least, visit Nieuwkoop or one of the larger cities around: Amsterdam, Leiden or Utrecht, all within 30 km.
More info about Nieuwveen and the surrounding area:
http://www.liemeer.nl, website of the municipality Liemeer.
http://www.zuid-holland.com/, tourist info about the province Zuid Holland.
This farm is so close to our home ( 15 minutes walk) , we never stayed here ourselves. But in december 2005 a few VT... more travel advice
There is a marked walkingroute around Nieuwveen called Ursularoute. In the travelogue you can find the entire route and... more travel advice
Written Jan 22, 2006
Written Jan 23, 2006
The route along the Hogendijk
tompt's Related Pages
Nieuwveen Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Nieuwveen
- 5 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Nieuwveen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nieuwveen
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues