"Oud-Valkenburg, small but beautifull" Oud-Valkenburg by tompt
Oud-Valkenburg Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 50 photos
Oud-Valkenburg is a small but beautifull village next to the famous tourist spot Valkenburg. There are some monuments in Oud-Valkenburg that are worth seeing. And although most are not open to the public they are nice to see from the outside. Besides that Oud-Valkenburg is a great place to do some walking from. It is situated in a valley and if you climb the Jansberg you can see this great view from the city.
Most famous are the two castles, the Genhoes and castle Schaloen.
The Genhoes,not open to the public, dates back to the 12th century. Was destroyed during the 80 year war with spain, and rebuilt in the early 17th century. The farmhouse is dating from the 18th century. It is now owned by Natuurmonumenten.
Castle Schaloen, is a romantic castle surrounded by a moat. It was first mentioned in 1375. It was destroyed in the 80 year war with Spain, but rebuilt in 1656 by lord Hoen van Cartiels. In 1894 it was again restored in neogotic style. The castle is also not open to the public, but the buildings around the castle serve as a hotel and restaurant.
This hotel is located in the sub-buildings of the castle. There are 20 rooms and a restaurant. more travel advice
The sheep are still grazing around here. In the old days the sheep grazed on the fields that were in the leap year... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Oud-Valkenburg Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Oud-Valkenburg
- 11 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Oud-Valkenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oud-Valkenburg
Photos in Oud-ValkenburgSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues