"Texel, where the wind always blows." Top 5 Page for this destination Texel by tompt

Texel Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 495 photos

Texel is the largest of the dutch Wadden islands. It is approx. 8 km wide and 25 km long it has 30 km of sandy beach. There are over 13.000 people and 20.000 sheep at Texel. The island is great for naturelovers as well as beachlovers, because there are many nature reserves. Texel is also rich in birdlive and they have some protective areas too. It can be reached by ferry from Den Helder. And is only an hour from Amsterdam.

We went to Texel with the collegues of Gonnie on a saturday in the summer of 2002. A day of cycling and having fun. That was when we discovered how great it is to be here.

In march 2003 we went back for a 4day weekend. As the weather in march can be very unpredictable we didn´t plan anything and decided to go with the flow. When we arrived the sun came through the clouds and we went into the woods to do some cycling and hiking. On saturday we did a discovery tour of the island by car. And on sunday we went for a beachwalk. Maybe a bit to much wind as you can see on the picture above. But we had the wind in our back for the 6 kilometers we walked up from de Koog to de Slufter .

More info:
http://www.texel.net/, the Texel tourist info site.
Virtual Tour Texel, a site with 360° pictures of all over the island. (dutch)

Texel is more than just the beach. An animal attached to this island is the sheep. Visiting in spring you might see a whole new generation evolve.

But there are also very nice small villages with that authentic look.

• Last visit to Texel: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 10, 2006

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2004 at 6:26 PM

I love those little homes! Texel seems like such a great place!

• Bigjones's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2004 at 12:44 AM

Thanks for these very useful tips. We are planning a bike trip there in about 2 weeks, hope the sun will be with us !

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2004 at 9:28 AM

Very nice and authoritive page, thanks.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2004 at 3:51 AM

Great site about Texel. My compliments about it! Whenever I return I will have another look at it for extra tips! :-)

• der_geograf's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2004 at 8:12 AM

That is a very interesting story on Texel--I didn't know about that. Great pics, good info!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2003 at 3:53 PM

what a great intro pic...lovely Texel, beautiful presented. thanx for sharing

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 10:58 AM

Outstanding page!! You deserve only 5 stars on every tipp! Great work!! Congratulations!

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2003 at 4:15 AM

wowwww magnificent page! what an info! hey I recognized those bottles of bitter `-) and the history about the rebellion of the Georgians is very interesting, first time I heard of it!

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2003 at 10:11 AM

Hej, what a great page! I discovered Oudeschild by accident, while waiting for the tide to turn. I didn't know there was so much more to Texel besides fish and sheep. Super page!

• nicoleken's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2003 at 10:50 AM

Very nice island ! Looks great to visit and for biking. Wonderful photos and very good page !

tompt

“life is too short to see this great planet”

Badges & Stats in Texel