"Texel, where the wind always blows." Top 5 Page for this destination Texel by tompt
Texel Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 495 photos
Texel is the largest of the dutch Wadden islands. It is approx. 8 km wide and 25 km long it has 30 km of sandy beach. There are over 13.000 people and 20.000 sheep at Texel. The island is great for naturelovers as well as beachlovers, because there are many nature reserves. Texel is also rich in birdlive and they have some protective areas too. It can be reached by ferry from Den Helder. And is only an hour from Amsterdam.
We went to Texel with the collegues of Gonnie on a saturday in the summer of 2002. A day of cycling and having fun. That was when we discovered how great it is to be here.
In march 2003 we went back for a 4day weekend. As the weather in march can be very unpredictable we didn´t plan anything and decided to go with the flow. When we arrived the sun came through the clouds and we went into the woods to do some cycling and hiking. On saturday we did a discovery tour of the island by car. And on sunday we went for a beachwalk. Maybe a bit to much wind as you can see on the picture above. But we had the wind in our back for the 6 kilometers we walked up from de Koog to de Slufter .
http://www.texel.net/, the Texel tourist info site.
Virtual Tour Texel, a site with 360° pictures of all over the island. (dutch)
Texel is more than just the beach. An animal attached to this island is the sheep. Visiting in spring you might see a whole new generation evolve.
But there are also very nice small villages with that authentic look.
End of august start of september the heather is in bloom. Lovely purple flowers in the entire dunes area. So if you... more travel advice
In an old farmhouse you can eat in the stables. It is a real family restaurant and they serve all kinds of pancakes... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Texel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Texel, where the wind always blows."
- "Sun, sea and sheep!"
- "Texel, seven villages and more …."
- "WELCOME TO MY TEXEL PAGE ......:-)"
- "Sheep, shrimp, seagulls, shores, sea, and scenery"
- "Texel : the nature and bike lovers paradise!"
- "Holland in miniature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Texel
- Hotels in Texel
- Transportation in Texel
- Nightlife in Texel
- Restaurants in Texel
- Shopping in Texel
- Warnings and Dangers in Texel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Texel
- 59 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Texel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Texel
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues