Valkenburg Off The Beaten Path Tips by tompt Top 5 Page for this destination
Valkenburg Off The Beaten Path: 30 reviews and 37 photos
The next stop is at the other side of the river. A lane with enormous birch trees leads you to Kasteel Schaloen.
It dates back to the 13th century and is restyled in 1656. The other buildings on the site are used as a hotel. So looking for something different to stay in.......
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 043- 4591417
Fransche Molen, Valkenburg
During our visit in march 2007 we were surprised by the progress of the restoration. THe entire building is looking brandnew now. It is not open to the public, but that can't take long anymore.
In april 2005 it was absolutely clear they did a lot of work. The roof was ready, new tiles and it looked waterproof..
Looking forward to see the french mill in mint condition!
Old Hickory bridge
This small bridge marks the spot where the allied forces first crossed the Geul on their way to free Valkenburg and the rest of our country in september 1944. The 120th Rgt. of the 30th Infantry Division (Old Hickory) of the 19th Corps of the First US Army was the regiment that freed Valkenburg and therefor this bridge is called Old Hickory bridge. It is located next to kasteel Halder.
More about the liberation of Valkenburg can be found at the website mentioned below.
V2 installation ? or just a repairstation for BMW
The Bronsdael Groeve, just walk further along the Geul in the direction of Meerssen, is a monument of the second world war.
In 1944 the Germans started to spread their industries over a wider area in Europe, amongst others in Valkenburg. In july 1944 the 1500 dutch people were forced to work in Valkenburg. Under codename Valerie15 work started to build a repair-station for BMW 801 aircraft-engines. In September it was ready. Full capacity was planned for october/november, but it never got that far, because this area was freed in september by the Americans. All that is left now is concrete, lots of concrete. Legend has it that this was a launching base for V2 boms, but that is probably just a legend.
scottish highlanders along the Geul
As said in the previous tip there is also a herd of oxes (scottish highlanders) here. They do come across the water and sometimes block your way on the footpath.
This highlanders also are here to keep the grass short and make the reserve as natural as possible again.
horses (koniks) along the Geul
In this picture you see some of the horses that roam the Ingendael nature reserve.
The horses are Polish Koniks, a small Polish horse, kind of wild pony. The koniks are good grazers. They keep the landscape open and a natural forest will evolve.
There is also a herd of oxes wich you can see in the next picture.
3 beeldjes, Valkenburg
This three statues are made in 1739. The lord of the nearby Kasteel Schaloen had them built because the castle was haunted by the evil ghost Ruprecht.
The original statues were stolen in 1968 and in 1973 they were replaced by this concrete replicas made by Sjef Eymael.
restotion of the franse molen started
It is september 2004 and when we walked along the Franse Molen we saw they started the restoration. Can't wait untill it is finished....
The firm Coppes from Houthem started the restoration of the “meule van Cassel” , or Franse Molen. The restoration was planned 10 years ago, but there were problems between the municipality, the owners and Monumentenzorg. The builder Coppes bought the mill 3 years ago and it looked like it was going to be restored. But a conflict with a neighbouring hotel about their right to have an emergency exit across the mill grounds stopped the process. They went to court and things were settled, in two years from now the mill should be restored. So come and see it for yourself in 2006.
franse molen, Valkenburg
A ruin, but this once was a proud watermill.
Built in 1804 by the frenchmen Bertrand Loisel. Hench the name French mill.
It was restored in 1861, and got a new wheel in 1876. It was used as a grainmill untill 1962. Today it is a ruin, with fences around it to prevent accidents.
Hopefully someone with money will renovate it and restore it to its old splendour soon, before it is no longer possible to save it.
address: Lindelaan 32
More Reviews (80)
- See All Be surprised by the chef
- See All And now for something completely...
- See All Or print info here..
- See All Bokkenrijders
- See All Fluweelengrot
- See All How to pay your parkingfee part II
tompt's Related Pages
Valkenburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xmas and more in Valkenburg"
- "VALKENBURG ZUID LIMBURG"
- "Valkenburg, Marlstone, Tourists, many attractions!"
- "A weekend in Valkenburg ..."
- "Just a great please to spend a weekend !!!"
- "Valkenburg, the marlstone town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valkenburg
- Hotels in Valkenburg
- Transportation in Valkenburg
- Nightlife in Valkenburg
- Restaurants in Valkenburg
- Shopping in Valkenburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Valkenburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tung Lo Wan Hotels
- Fallbrook Hotels
- Ormos Athinios Hotels
- Greenbrier Hotels
- Giardino Giusti
- Guangzhou Off The Beaten Path
- Ocean beaches
- Bellagio Off The Beaten Path
- Esperance Off The Beaten Path
- Markets & Flea Markets
- Antwerp Off The Beaten Path
- Green Bay Off The Beaten Path
- Day Trip: Montserrat
- Haarlem Off The Beaten Path
- Montepulciano Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Valkenburg
- 100 Reviews
- 189 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Valkenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valkenburg
- Posted in Travel Utrecht Forum "Re: Utrecht op Zondag"
- Wrote a Review Be surprised by the chef in Valkenburg Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Be surprised by the chef"
- updated a Valkenburg Travel Page "Xmas and more in Valkenburg"
- Uploaded a Video to Valkenburg
- Commented on one of tompt's Valkenburg travel pages
Photos in ValkenburgSee All Photos (189)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Latest Valkenburg hotel reviews
- Grand Hotel Monopole
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Valkenburg
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 29, 2012
- Hotel De Bogaerde
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 18, 2013
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Hotel Tummers
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Parkhotel Rooding
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Hotel LeTo
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 26, 2012
- Hotel Botterweck
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Hotel Prinses Wilhelmina
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jul 25, 2010
- Tourotel Valkenburg
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Atlas Eurotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant De Burghoeve
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Hotel Riche
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2012