"Nagano-ken, a mountainous region" Nagano-ken by tompt
Nagano-ken Travel Guide: 264 reviews and 833 photos
Nagano-ken is situated in the center of Japan and is home to the Japanese Alps. There are 16 mountains of 3000m or higher in Nagano-ken. It is 13,584 square kilometers big. There are 67 towns / villages in Nagano-ken. 8 prefectures are neighbouring Nagano-ken: Gunma, Saitama, Yamanashi, Shizuoka, Aichi, Gifu, Toyama and Niigata.
Next to the natural beauty there are also many cultural attractions in Nagano. You will find local arts and crafts museums but also modern art collections. And ofcourse there is Matsumoto castle, a national treasure.
We have visited Nagano-ken twice (in 2001 and 2003), both times for only a short stay. We are sure we come back to this great prefecture once...
One of the most wellknown things in Nagano-ken is Matsumoto castle.
Matsumoto Castle is one of the few great Japanese castles of the feudal era to survive into the present day in its original form. The donjon has five stories and six floors, and is the oldest surviving donjon in Japan. Attached to the main donjon are two additional turrets. The central structure, as it stands today, was built over a period of years between l592 and 1614 by the Ishikawa clan.
In Takato, a small village tucked away in the mountains south of Matsumato, one can enjoy the
beautifull pink color of the cherryblossom. 1500 trees bloom at the same time in this village.
More info on Nagano-ken:
- Tourism Division, Nagano Prefecture Government
Minami -Nagano, Nagano-City
- http://www.nagano-tabi.net/English/ (tourism in Nagano-ken)
- http://www.pref.nagano.jp/english/indexe.htm(off. prefect. website)
More about the cherryblossom on our Takato page.
Another great sight in Nagano-ken are the numerous lakes and dams. Most dams are made to make electricity, but the... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Nagano-ken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shigakogen - Ski Area in Nagano"
- "Nagano-ken, a mountainous region"
- "History, Natural Beauty, Gentle Farmers"
- "Nagano-Ken - 2 hours from Niigata City"
- "Welcome to my Nagano page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagano-ken
- Hotels in Nagano-ken
- Transportation in Nagano-ken
- Nightlife in Nagano-ken
- Restaurants in Nagano-ken
- Shopping in Nagano-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagano-ken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nagano-ken
- 33 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Nagano-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagano-ken
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues