"Menen, the unknown" Menen by tompt
Menen Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 98 photos
When we first told our belgian friends we were going to Menen, they were surprised. Menen? Where is Menen, what is there to see or do in Menen, some replied. Another one knew where it was and was even more surprised. Menen is not exactly a city tourists pick for a 5 day trip. But then we started to investigate. And Menen turned out to be a city with some unknown treasures. In the picture above you see the cityhall and bellfry. The belfry dates back to 1574, and is together with other flamish belfries on the Unesco World Heritage list.
Menen is also a great places to make hikes or bike rides from.
There are some routes available from the tourist office:
Rijselstraat 77 , B-8930 Menen
open : tuesday-sunday 14.00 - 18.00
website: http://www.menen.be (available in English, French, German and Dutch)
And Menen is also close to the Flanders Fields, where fierce battles of the Great War (the first world war) were fought. West of Menen you will find many graveyards and remembrance sites from the Common Wealth. Menen was soon occupied by the Germans and it is here the largest German Graveyard is located. 48049 Germans are buried here (and not 47864 as the sign at the entrance states) .
We were visiting Menen for a 5 day weekend. And on our last night here from sunday to monday we were the only ones in... more travel advice
There are some great routes plotted around Menen. We did take the citywalk. This is not signposted. But you can get a... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Menen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Menen, the unknown"
- "Driving with the bike from home"
- "Menen - In Flanders Fields"
- "My birthplace Menen or Menin"
- "Street Theatre"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Menen
- 23 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Menen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Menen
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues