"Mortsel, where VT friends live" Mortsel by tompt
Mortsel Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 196 photos
Mortsel, a city next to Antwerp. A city we would have never heard of if we hadn't met irisbe and diamonddog. Since we met them we already visited twice. The first time in summer when we camped in their garden. And the second time it was november, it seemed better to take a hotel room... In november we met up for brunch at Dannies place with Dannie, Ralph and Caroline.
As we arrived a day earlier we had some time to discover Mortsel.
The oldest proof of people living here dates back to 3500 bc. The first written evidence is from the 7th century, count Witger ruled in Antwerp. His daughter, Reinhildis, gave all her inherited goods to the abbey of Lobbes amongst it was "de villa Diezegem".
Diezegem was a agricultural house which owned all the ground now known as Mortsel.
In 1150 a certificate of the pope speaks of the "altare de Mortezele".
Mortsel was probably not a municipality in that time, but there were surely living people in this area. The destruction of all the archives of the abbey of Lobbes (10 may 1940) made it impossible to find written evidence of the period between 869 and 1150.
When the chapel became a church somewhere between (900 and 1150), the village Mortsel was
founded. There is no explanation to where the name came from.
Mortsel has some sites you must see. Among them are Fort IV, Cantecroy, the monument for Lieven Gevaerts and the cityhall.
You can download a citywalk (the John Juchem pad) from the website of the city. The website and the walk is only in dutch. And be sure you download a map o the city because there are no signs placed to guide you.
More about Mortsel on the website of stad Mortsel:
http://www.mortsel.be/, in dutch only.
After our visit to Brugge Dannie made a delicious meal at her home. It was a spicy stew with rice. ( We swear we don't... more travel advice
You can reassemble the shaken tarts by hand. Be sure to lick your fingers once in a while, as they get very... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Mortsel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mortsel, my hometown"
- "Mortsel, where VT friends live"
- "Mortsel, hometowen of Irisbe and Diamonddog"
- "this is the city i live in"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mortsel
- Hotels in Mortsel
- Transportation in Mortsel
- Nightlife in Mortsel
- Restaurants in Mortsel
- Shopping in Mortsel
- Warnings and Dangers in Mortsel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mortsel
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Mortsel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mortsel
Photos in MortselSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues