"Spa, in search for the source" Spa by tompt
Spa Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 92 photos
Tucked away in the Ardennes in the east part of Belgium is a small city called Spa. It was once a famous resort, a place where people came to get well. To rest and to bath in the springwater. Today the glamour is gone, but it is still a place where tourists come. In search for the source of the famous natural spring water. In our country the name SPA is so famous it is used to order any kind of mineral water. If you want mineral water without bubbles you ask for Spa blauw and for sparkling water the word is Spa rood. Both referring to the color of the Spa bottles blue or red.
So when the opportunity occured to visit Spa we gladly accepted. Tom was going to do the cyclingtour la Fleche de Wallonie organised every year on the saturday after Ascensionday. Too much steep hills here for Gonnie, so she went walking in search for the source. It turned out to be there are 7 important sources, and failing to understand the Belgian signposts, it took her five hours of walking up and down the hills to find only three. The next day we took the car and found all seven easily.
Then the next disappointment. The water coming out of the ground is absolutely not tasty......
The wells bring up water very rich in iron. You can see it in the orange color on the ground under the pumps. It is all rust.
Some wells have more iron than others. For instance the Pouhon Pierre-le-Grand has 19 mg / liter, and the Géronstère only 3,4 mg / liter. But both taste like putting your teeth in an iron bar.
So what did we learn from this?
wheather in Spa or not after a long and exhausting cyclingtour you drink a delicious icecold beer.....
Want to know more about Spa?
http://www.spa-info.be/ , website in dutch and french.
It was very busy in this restaurant on a friday night. This means it is a populair one. People were even waiting to get... more travel advice
Just a few metres from la Sauveni?re you will find la Fontaine de Groesbeeck. This spring bears the name of Baron de... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Spa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Spa, in search for the source"
- "Spa, the original place where mineral water wells"
- "1 night"
- "Taking the Waters"
- "Spa, water paradise"
- "Camping in Spa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spa
- Hotels in Spa
- Transportation in Spa
- Restaurants in Spa
- Warnings and Dangers in Spa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spa
- 22 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Spa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spa
Photos in SpaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues