"Buy some Westvleteren and you will return here..." Westvleteren by tompt
Westvleteren Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 100 photos
Westvleteren, located in a very remoted part of Flanders, has one famous export product: beer. The monks of St Sixtus abbey brew some great beers. This product is so good the distribution is done by the buyers themselves. You can drive up to the abbey and buy your beer (max. 5 crates per car) for reasonable prices.
Warning: onces you have been there and bought it, you have to go back to the middle of nowhere. Not only to bring back the crates and the bottles for the deposit money, but because you will be addicted to this beer from then on.
When you bought the beer and transported it home, it is best to leave it for at least 8 days. That way it can rest from the journey and will taste better.
Well, if like us, you would like to taste what you bought you can cross the street and go buy some in De Vrede (Peace). This is a meetingcentre and bar. You can buy the beers and have a bite to eat. There is soup and bread with cheese, meat, chicken, all made in the abbey and all are prepared with the beer.
Other things you should now about the beer:
- leave it to rest at least 8 days after transport, the beer gets better in time
- there is no label, but the cap says it all, the first to numbers are the date of bottling.
- keep the beer in a dark place, between 10 and 18 C, never store it in the fridge.
- keep the bottles in upright position
- poor it in a round glass but leave the last bit in the bottle
Other things to do here
If you are not into beer at all you can also make a nice walk here, there is a route around the abbey of 7 km.
The area is also great for cycling.
The abbey itself is closed to the public, but you can do like Tom did --------->
- http://www.sintsixtus.be/, the website of the abbey.
- http://www.indevrede.be/, the website of the bar.
- http://www.westhoek.be, website of the tourism office in the area.
Before you take a trip to Westvleteren just for the beer you better call first. Sometimes all the beer is sold out. That... more travel advice
After the beer you might need some excercise to work away the calories. There is a nice walk around the abbey. It is 7.1... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Westvleteren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oh Holy Beer"
- "Buy some Westvleteren and you will return here..."
- "Monastery Our Lady of Saint Sixtus- Westvleteren"
- "Trip from Stuivekenskerke"
- "Meetings and trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Westvleteren
- Hotels in Westvleteren
- Transportation in Westvleteren
- Restaurants in Westvleteren
- Shopping in Westvleteren
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Westvleteren
- 5 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Westvleteren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Westvleteren
- Posted in Travel Utrecht Forum "Re: Utrecht op Zondag"
- updated a Westvleteren Travel Page "Buy some Westvleteren and you will return here..."
- Wrote a Review First call to ask if there is beer.... in Westvleteren Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Sixtus Abbey, pictures"
- Commented on one of JosM's Westvleteren travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues