"Virginia is for lovers" Virginia by tompt
Virginia Travel Guide: 7,861 reviews and 19,127 photos
The history of America is closely tied to that of Virginia. The first permanent English settlement in North America was Jamestown, founded in 1607. The surrenders ending the American Revolution (Yorktown) and the Civil War (Appomattox) occurred in Virginia.
The state is called the ?Mother of Presidents? because eight U.S. presidents were born there.
The name of the state comes from Elizabeth ?Virgin Queen? of England. It entered the Union at June 25, 1788 as the tenth state.
In 1969 the Virginia State Travel Service (now the Virginia Tourism Corporation) adopted the Virginia Is for Lovers slogan. Therefor it is the oldest slogan in the states.
Nobody knows what it stands for, and you are supposed to give it your own meaning. Lovers of nature, travelling, history....... or just lovers.
At milepost 63 James river crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway. Here you can see an exhibition about an old restored lock. It... more travel advice
Just off the Blue Ridge Parkway we encountered this Inn in Staunton. It is located next to a family restaurant (Mrs... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Virginia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Virginia is for lovers!"
- "b1bob personally carries you back to Ol' Virginny"
- "VIRGINIA's northwestern region off the beaten path"
- "Welcome to VIRGINA"
- "The Ole Dominion"
- "Coming Home"
- "Welcome to our Virginia page!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virginia
- Hotels in Virginia
- Transportation in Virginia
- Nightlife in Virginia
- Restaurants in Virginia
- Shopping in Virginia
- Warnings and Dangers in Virginia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Virginia
- 12 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virginia
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues