"Tennessee, from the mountains to the river" Top 5 Page for this destination Tennessee by tompt

Tennessee Travel Guide: 4,096 reviews and 9,298 photos

Tennessee, the Volunteer State, stretches from the Appalachian Mountains to the mighty Mississippi River. It measures 42146 square miles, and about 6 million people call it home. The three stars on the flag represent the three different land forms in Tennessee. Mountains in the east, highlands in the middle and lowlands in the west. The name "Tennessee" originated from the old Yuchi Indian word, "Tana-see," meaning "The Meeting Place." There where several Cherokee villages called Tanasi. Tennessee has had several nicknames, but the most popular is “The Volunteer State.” The nickname originated during the War of 1812, in which the volunteer soldiers from Tennessee, serving under Gen. Andrew Jackson, displayed marked valor in the Battle of New Orleans.

We travelled through Tennessee on our way from New Jersey to Louisiana. We visited the Smoky Mountains NP while we stayed in the resort town of Gatlinburg. Then we drove across the state to take the Natchez Trace, an old trading route, south.
On our way back we did some sight seeing around Chattanooga, famous for the Chattanooga choo choo.
In both Gatlinburg and Chattanooga have a big aquarium, we visited the one in Chattanooga. But heard the other one is worth a visit too.

Yall welcome in Tennessee. People are very friendly, but they speak a bit different and sometimes it was hard for us to understand. And in the few days we spend here we didn't quite catch up with the 'Yall' and other words that they combine. So the first question always was: Where are you from ??

If you want to know more about tourism in Tennessee try the
website of the Tennessee Department of Tourism Development

• Last visit to Tennessee: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 20, 2005

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 5:51 AM

Good page to view before planning our camping trip to this area. Hope to have as much fun as it seems you had in our south.

• am&pm's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 5:45 PM

Awesome pictures!! Natchez Trace is beautiful---We've only been on the Mississippi part of it, but saw similar waterfalls. Nice job!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2004 at 8:21 AM

I'm glad to see you visited my home state of Tennessee and hope you enjoyed your time there. Your pages are informative and accurate. Ya'll come back now, ya'hear!

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2004 at 5:22 AM

It is very nice page with good photos and descriptions. Now I know more places to go to :-) I live in TN so it is so close for me :-) Olenka

• soundsgoodtome's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2003 at 8:20 PM

This is one of the best pages on Tennessee I have yet seen. Thank you for visiting my great state and city. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and maybe you can come back one day to see those things you missed. Happy travels.

tompt

“life is too short to see this great planet”

Badges & Stats in Tennessee

Have you been to Tennessee?

Latest Activity in Tennessee