"Tennessee, from the mountains to the river" Top 5 Page for this destination Tennessee by tompt
Tennessee Travel Guide: 4,096 reviews and 9,298 photos
Tennessee, the Volunteer State, stretches from the Appalachian Mountains to the mighty Mississippi River. It measures 42146 square miles, and about 6 million people call it home. The three stars on the flag represent the three different land forms in Tennessee. Mountains in the east, highlands in the middle and lowlands in the west. The name "Tennessee" originated from the old Yuchi Indian word, "Tana-see," meaning "The Meeting Place." There where several Cherokee villages called Tanasi. Tennessee has had several nicknames, but the most popular is “The Volunteer State.” The nickname originated during the War of 1812, in which the volunteer soldiers from Tennessee, serving under Gen. Andrew Jackson, displayed marked valor in the Battle of New Orleans.
We travelled through Tennessee on our way from New Jersey to Louisiana. We visited the Smoky Mountains NP while we stayed in the resort town of Gatlinburg. Then we drove across the state to take the Natchez Trace, an old trading route, south.
On our way back we did some sight seeing around Chattanooga, famous for the Chattanooga choo choo.
In both Gatlinburg and Chattanooga have a big aquarium, we visited the one in Chattanooga. But heard the other one is worth a visit too.
Yall welcome in Tennessee. People are very friendly, but they speak a bit different and sometimes it was hard for us to understand. And in the few days we spend here we didn't quite catch up with the 'Yall' and other words that they combine. So the first question always was: Where are you from ??
If you want to know more about tourism in Tennessee try the
website of the Tennessee Department of Tourism Development
Chattanooga was incorporated in 1839, and was a river and rail town. It was a junction for river and rail traffic. When... more travel advice
The Comfort Inn at Chattanooga / Lookout Mountain is maybe convienient for daytrips up Lookout mountain, but there are... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Tennessee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Mountains, The Valley, The Plateau: Tennessee"
- "Tennessee, from the mountains to the river"
- "Tennessee......the place to be"
- "Tennessee Back Roads and Byways"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tennessee
- Hotels in Tennessee
- Transportation in Tennessee
- Nightlife in Tennessee
- Restaurants in Tennessee
- Shopping in Tennessee
- Warnings and Dangers in Tennessee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tennessee
- 18 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Tennessee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tennessee
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues