"Mississippi, antebellum houses and more." Top 5 Page for this destination Mississippi by tompt
Mississippi Travel Guide: 1,617 reviews and 3,705 photos
Mississippi, before we visited this state we didn't know much about it. Mississippi, the mighty river, that was all. Didn't even know how to spell it right how many ss ? But now we are totally overwhelmed by it. The antebellum houses, the cotton, the ancient indian sites. Just to much to tell. Go and see for yourself.
We entered the state via the Natchez Trace Parkway. This Parkway travels between Natchez, Mississippi, and Nashville, Tennessee. It used to be the road through the wilderness taken in the old days. Now it is a tourist road with many interesting stops along it. Parts of the old trace, indian burial sites, and just off the parkway there are plantation houses and towns really worth visiting.
The name Mississippi comes from the river that flows along its western boundary. It comes from several different Indian words. The Chippewa words "mici zibi" meaning "great river" or "gathering in of all the waters" and the Algonquin word "Messipi".
Originally several tribal nations (Choctaw, Chickasaw, Natchez, etc.)lived here. Mississippi was colonized in 1699 when Pierre LeMoyne Sieur d'Iberville landed on the Gulf Coast. Claimed by the French, then the Spanish and English, Mississippi was eventually bought by the United States, becoming its 20th state in 1817.
By the 1830s, cotton was king, and the state was on its way to becoming one of the nation's wealthiest. On January 9, 1861, Mississippi seceded from the Union, and, with the outbreak of the Civil War, battles were fought in every corner of the state.
Readmitted to the Union in 1870, the state began to rebuild.
Do visit Natchez, an entire city full of historic atebellum homes. The rich plantation owners spend the wet period, when... more travel advice
A working plantation for over 200 years, the house was begun in 1789 by wealthy Virginia planter Thomas Marston Green... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Mississippi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Mississipi Page"
- "An Unknown Treasure - The Natchez Trace Parkway"
- "Mississippi, antebellum houses and more."
- "Natchez Trace Parkway"
- "Ole' Mississippi"
- "Keeweechic's Mississippi"
- "A Great Day Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mississippi
- Hotels in Mississippi
- Transportation in Mississippi
- Nightlife in Mississippi
- Restaurants in Mississippi
- Shopping in Mississippi
- Warnings and Dangers in Mississippi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mississippi
- 21 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Mississippi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mississippi
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues