Alaska Transportation Tips by tompt Top 5 Page for this destination
Alaska Transportation: 119 reviews and 122 photos
small planes in Juneau harbor
Some people in Alaska live in such remote places there is no road to their home. When you drive along the highway (there is only one main highway) you will see houses on the banks of small lakes with a plane in the lake, instead of a car on the driveway.
Each small town has its own landingstrip for these small planes.
ferry from Haines to Juneau
Juneau is the only capital not reachable by car. You have to take a ferry or airplane to reach Juneau, the capital of Alaska.
We came in by ferry from Haines. The ferry system in Alaska is classified a scenic byway and also know by the name of: Alaska Marine Highway.
The famous inside passage is part of the Marine Highway. Often you see whales or other sealife. And the stunning glaciers around make the picture complete.
Reservations can be made online at the website below.
More Reviews (25)
tompt's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 28 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues