"Alaska, up north and far away" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska by tompt
Alaska Travel Guide: 7,073 reviews and 15,494 photos
In July 2005 we made a 3 week camping trip with a tourgroup to Yukon and Alaska. About 2 weeks of this trip we travelled through Alaska. The trip started in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. From there we went west and crossed the border at Pokercreek, AK, the most northerly bordercrossing of the USA.
We visited Fairbanks, Santa in Northpole, Denali NP with its magnificant wildlife, Anchorage, Seward for a cruise, Tok and Chicken, and after crossing back to Canada we went south to see Juneau and Skagway.
We were very lucky to see lots of things in Alaska. As you can see in the opening picture we saw Mt McKinley, with 20,320 ft north americas tallest mountain. About 80% of the visitors of Denali NP can't tell the same as it is almost always hiding behind the clouds. On the same day we saw grizzly, wolves, moose, Dall sheep and caribou.
We camped at the most beautifull campsites in Alaska, with glacierview at Matanuska and Mendenhall Glaciers or bayview in Haines.
We were just in time to visit the Eskimo and Indian Olympics in Fairbanks.
We also saw some sealife like the orka (killerwhale) and humpback whales, seaotters and so on.......
So this trip didn't answer to our expectations at all. We knew Alaska was up north and far away. So it must be cold there... No way, in summer temperatures are regular higher than at home in Holland. So we could pose in front of our tent and a glacier in shorts.
We expected lots of people travelling there, because of the short season. But Alaska is so big, there are huge areas where you don't see any other tourists.
And we could never expect what nature has to offer in Alaska, that is something you should just experience by yourself !
More info on Alaska:
- http://www.travelalaska.com/ by the Alaska Travel Industry Association.
- http://www.bellsalaska.com/, Bell’s Travel Guides, free guides availlable up north.
- http://www.state.ak.us/, the official state website.
Some people in Alaska live in such remote places there is no road to their home. When you drive along the highway (there... more travel advice
A nice stop along the Alaska highway is Rika's Roadhouse. The roadhouse is located just north of Delta Junction, at the... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 28 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues