"Alaska, up north and far away" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska by tompt

Alaska Travel Guide: 6,747 reviews and 14,298 photos

In July 2005 we made a 3 week camping trip with a tourgroup to Yukon and Alaska. About 2 weeks of this trip we travelled through Alaska. The trip started in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. From there we went west and crossed the border at Pokercreek, AK, the most northerly bordercrossing of the USA.
We visited Fairbanks, Santa in Northpole, Denali NP with its magnificant wildlife, Anchorage, Seward for a cruise, Tok and Chicken, and after crossing back to Canada we went south to see Juneau and Skagway.

We were very lucky to see lots of things in Alaska. As you can see in the opening picture we saw Mt McKinley, with 20,320 ft north americas tallest mountain. About 80% of the visitors of Denali NP can't tell the same as it is almost always hiding behind the clouds. On the same day we saw grizzly, wolves, moose, Dall sheep and caribou.

We camped at the most beautifull campsites in Alaska, with glacierview at Matanuska and Mendenhall Glaciers or bayview in Haines.

We were just in time to visit the Eskimo and Indian Olympics in Fairbanks.

We also saw some sealife like the orka (killerwhale) and humpback whales, seaotters and so on.......

So this trip didn't answer to our expectations at all. We knew Alaska was up north and far away. So it must be cold there... No way, in summer temperatures are regular higher than at home in Holland. So we could pose in front of our tent and a glacier in shorts.
We expected lots of people travelling there, because of the short season. But Alaska is so big, there are huge areas where you don't see any other tourists.
And we could never expect what nature has to offer in Alaska, that is something you should just experience by yourself !

More info on Alaska:
- http://www.travelalaska.com/ by the Alaska Travel Industry Association.
- http://www.bellsalaska.com/, Bell’s Travel Guides, free guides availlable up north.
- http://www.state.ak.us/, the official state website.

• Last visit to Alaska: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 29, 2006

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2009 at 12:07 AM

I really enjoyed reading & rating your interesting pages, thanks for sharing! Alaska has always been on my wish-list for a big summer vacation... I guess for now I have to get my "hiking fix" in Scotland this summer. Greetings from Dubai / Jess :-)

• debtravers's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Can't wait to experience Alaska for myself one day! Great page.

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 10:25 PM

A magnificient page again!Time I visited after viewing your great album long time ago! prachtig prachtig :)

• Aug 24, 2006 at 7:57 PM

Very nice! It looks like you had a great time. We're thinking about driving from where I live in Colorado to Alaska maybe next summer.

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 7:48 AM

Excellent trip i think, it nice to see the pics after having heard about it

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 12:56 AM

Lovely intro photo! Sounds like you had a wonderful time camping in Alaska. The landscape looks impressive and beautiful and I hope I can visit one day.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 7:52 AM

alaska is high on my things to do list of travels! i'd love to see the great landscape that you've captured in your photographs! golo

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2005 at 11:12 AM

Great pics and info about your last trip. It looks like a great place to visit.

• Sep 13, 2005 at 10:32 AM

Great bear tip! When we were there we were advised to carry bear bells - but the only bear we saw was in a car park looking in a rubbish bin!

• SharrieShaw's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 7:13 AM

I was at the pipeline as well, but in the winter!!! Imagine that! Sounds like fun walking on the glacier! I'd love to do that one day!

tompt

“life is too short to see this great planet”

Badges & Stats in Alaska