"Gran Canaria, a mini continent" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria by tompt
Isla de Gran Canaria Travel Guide: 418 reviews and 1,177 photos
Although Gran Canaria is a relatively small island it is also referred to as a miniature continent. It has it all, high mountain peaks, woods, green meadows, beaches. The weather can vary from snow in the mountains to beachweather in the touristarea in the south. The island is of vulcanic origin, has a round shape and is about 50 km in diameter. The highest point is the peak of Pozo de Las Nieves at 1,949 metres above sea level.
We visited the island for one week. We rented an appartment in the touristresort Playa del Ingles. Playa del Ingles is a part of the Maspalomas area, an area built for the tourists. There is nothing original here, simply because 40 years ago nobody lived along the south coast. Then they started to develop the area, with its sandy beaches for tourists. You will find hotels, appartments, bungalows and ofcourse the restaurants, bars and shops to go along with that.
Because of this it is also very international here, there are german restaurants, dutch restaurants, italian and more but you will find a few original canarian restaurants. The personal in the restaurants and bars will speak your langage and serve the food you are used to at home. If that is what you like go for it...... but if you don't like that you will have to rent a car to get away to the original canarian villages.
When you drive inland you will find tourism isn't the only thing the island is living on. Many people earn money from agricultural products like tomato, banana, oranges and more. In the picture you see the valley at San Nicolas de Tolentino. All the gray plastic things are tomato plantations.
You can find more info on the island here:
For the touristarea Maspalomas (including San Antonio and Playa del ingles):
Altough Gran Canaria is a great place to have a beach holiday it can sometimes be dangerous to go for a swim. The island... more travel advice
Deep in the mountains of the island is the village of Artenara. The area around it is known for its caves. Caves that... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Isla de Gran Canaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GRAN CANARIA - explore the island!"
- "Gran Canaria - Playa del Ingles and other places."
- "Gran Canaria, a mini continent"
- "Gran Canaria"
- "Gran Canaria"
- "WELCOME TO MINIATURE CONTINENT!"
- "La Isla Gran Canaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Hotels in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Transportation in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Nightlife in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Restaurants in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Shopping in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Gran Canaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Gran Canaria
- 46 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Isla de Gran Canaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Posted in Travel Utrecht Forum "Re: Utrecht op Zondag"
- updated a Isla de Gran Canaria Travelogue "People on Gran Canaria"
- Uploaded a Photo to "People on Gran Canaria"
- Wrote a Review Red Flags in Isla de Gran Canaria Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Maria_75's Isla de Gran Canaria travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues