Provincie Limburg Favorite Tips by tompt Top 5 Page for this destination
Provincie Limburg Favorites: 14 reviews and 12 photos
Trees with mistletoe
Favorite thing: In many trees in Limburg you will see a round ball of branches. They look like birdnests. But it is mistletoe. It is a protected plant and it is forbidden to cut the mistletoe, and even to take mistletoe home that has broken off by storm or something.
The first thing you of Meerssen is the church
Favorite thing: Meerssen was an important place in 870 when the Frankisch Empire was split in the treaty of Meerssen.
In the middle of the 10th century Meerssen was owned by Gerberga, daughter of emperor Hendrik 1 and wife of the king of France. In 968 Gerberga gave her belongings including the chapel to the Benedict Abbey in Reims.
The chapel became a church and in 1222 a wonder occured here, when blood flooded from a host during the Holy Sacrament.
In 1465 the church burned down, but a farmer rescued the relic, without a burnmark.... this is called the wonder of fire.
The chapel was extended and became a basilica, a major pilgrimage church in our country.
Favorite thing: Burn a candle in the Onze Lieve Vrouwe church in Maastricht. Walking through Maastricht on a sunday you will see many people go inside the Onze Lieve Vrouwe Kerk.
They go there to burn a candle, in honor of the Holy Mary.
Why light a candle?
A candle is a light in the darkness.
The more candles the more power it has, especially when its coming from the heart.
You can light a candle for someone that has a difficult time, or someone you care about. Candles are also lit for people who died. And ofcourse you can lght a candle and ask the holy mary for your health or the health of someone close to you.
Gouverneur, beer from limburg
Favorite thing: Being in Limburg you can?t miss it. People like to enjoy life. They like their beer.
There are many beerbreweries in Limburg:
- Lindeboom, in Neer http://www.lindeboom.nl
- Brand bier, in Wijlre, part of the Heineken group,
- Alfa bier, in Schinnen http://www.alfa-bier.nl
-St Christoffel, in Roermond, http://www.christoffelbier.nl
-Gulpener brouwerij, in Gulpen http://www.gulpener.nl
-Hertog Jan Brouwerij, in Arcen, part of the Interbrew group, http://www.hertogjan.nl
-Leeuw bieren, in Valkenburg, http://www.leeuwbier.nl
Some breweries have tours, please check their websites.
Favorite thing: The event of the year in Limburg is Carnival. Everybody dresses up in a silly way and the party starts. It is all about beer and fun.
The picture was taken during the big parade at sunday, march 2nd 2003 in Maastricht.
Favorite thing: Limburg is known for its religious believes. Most people in Limburg are Roman Catholic. One can see this in the entire provincie: lots of religious statues and roadside chapels.
This is a monument on the Gulpenerberg.
Favorite thing: Limburg is the only dutch provincie to have (what we call) mountains. The landscape of
south Limburg is just right for cycling or hiking. The footpaths are good and many routes are well marked by colored poles. Just follow the yellow, the red or blue route. They are mostly roundtrips.
If you see markers with red and white horizontal striping, this is the symbol for longdistance walkingroutes. The most famous dutch one starts in Limburg at the Pietersberg and leads to Pieterburen in the extreme north of country, it is called : Pieterpad. It will take you 480 kilometers to reach the end!
One of the gates to enter Maastricht
Favorite thing: Maastricht, the capitol of Limburg, is one of the best cities in our country.
The people are friendly and warm, and they know how to enjoy life.
Maastricht is an old city and one can still see the old citywalls in several places.
More Reviews (15)
tompt's Related Pages
Provincie Limburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Limburg, live the good life"
- "Limburg - the most beautiful part of NL"
- "Limburg pictures"
- "Other places in the province of Limburg"
- "Limburg, the Netherlands"
- "Provincie Limburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Limburg
- Hotels in Provincie Limburg
- Transportation in Provincie Limburg
- Nightlife in Provincie Limburg
- Restaurants in Provincie Limburg
- Shopping in Provincie Limburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Limburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Paris Hotels
- Bacolod City
- Baclaran Hotels
- Saskatoon Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Laoag City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Santo Domingo Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
- La Spezia
- Prague Hotels
- Puerto Rico
- Bradford Hotels
Badges & Stats in Provincie Limburg
- 154 Reviews
- 387 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Provincie Limburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Limburg
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Top Provincie Limburg hotels
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1256 Reviews - 3216 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Venlo Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 88 Photos
- Roermond Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Heerlen Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Venray Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Vaals Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 97 Photos
- Thorn Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Sevenum Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Weert Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Brunssum Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 31 Photos
- Sittard Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Noorbeek Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Terwinselen Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Heythuysen Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 23 Photos