"Zomer in Zeeland (summer in Zeeland)" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Zeeland by tompt
Provincie Zeeland Travel Guide: 913 reviews and 2,406 photos
Zomer in Zeeland is the title of a dutch song, that tells about how great Zeeland is in summer. You can hear the music here, there is also the dutch text at this website. It is the thing that comes into mind when thinking about Zeeland, sun sea and summer. The name is clear Zeeland (lit.: Sealand), and that is just what it is, 1/3 is sea and 2/3 is land. The sea has always been a threat to the province, numerous times the land flooded, the last big flood was in februari 1953. More than 1800 people lost their lives. It was then the government decided to do something about it and tame the sea. The Deltaworks were born. Dams and floodbarriers were built. The last was completed in the end of the 20th century.
But altough the high sea is kept out now, Zeeland remains the dutch province to go to the beach. Or any other form of recreation on or along the water is great here ( sailing, fishing and so on) It is the province with the most hours of sun in our country ....
What did we see in Zeeland?
Well not really much, we sure have to visit there more often! We have been to Middelburg, attended the VT meeting in august 2004. Middelburg is a nice city, with more than 1000 monuments.
We visited Veere, a small town with an old center and a great town hall.
And in the summer of 2004 we camped in Haamstede, with family. It was here our two nieces went sky high in a glider, they were very impressed to see Zeeland from above.
Zeeland is 1/3 water as you can see in the satelite picture.
Want to know more about Zeeland?
- http://www.vvvzeeland.nl/, the touristinformation site is only in dutch and german.
- http://www.zeeland.nl/, the official website of the province.
- http://www.zeelandsite.com/zeelandsite/, english info
Take a ride in a glider from Haamstede. You can fly with members of the flying club in Haamstede. Just go to the field... more travel advice
This waterstorage was built by order of Maximiliian of Bourgondy in 1551. He promised the scottish wooltraders in Veere... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Provincie Zeeland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Z E E L A N D"
- "Zomer in Zeeland (summer in Zeeland)"
- "WELCOME TO MY ZEELAND PAGE ......:-)"
- "Luctor et emergo"
- "What's in a name?"
- "History of Schouwen Duiveland and the towns"
- "Coming soon: Bits and pieces of Zeeland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Zeeland
- Hotels in Provincie Zeeland
- Transportation in Provincie Zeeland
- Nightlife in Provincie Zeeland
- Restaurants in Provincie Zeeland
- Shopping in Provincie Zeeland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Zeeland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Zeeland
- 20 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Provincie Zeeland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Zeeland
Photos in Provincie ZeelandSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues