Florence Things to Do Tips by tompt
Florence Things to Do: 2,066 reviews and 3,488 photos
Boboli Gardens, Florence
Behind the Palazzo Pitti is the Boboli Garden. A combination ticket to all the museums will also get you into the garden.
It is a large garden with some nice views and again some museums in it. The porcelain museum is at the high end of the garden, on the citywalls. From here you can see the Tuscany landscape.
Royal Suites, Palazzo Pitti, Florence
The Palazzo Pitti is a big palace where the Medici family lived after they moved from Uffuzi. Nowadays it houses several museums.
You can buy a ticket to all the museums for 10€ it is valid for three days. Or you can buy seperate tickets for seperate museums.
The picture is from the royal suites.
Address: Piazza Pitti
Directions: Cross the Ponte Vecchio from the citycentre and go straight. You will find the Palazzo at your left.
Spedale degli Innocenti
The Spedale degli Innocenti is designed by Filippo Brunelleschi in 1419. In this building they housed orfans from 1445 to 1875.
Today it is a museum that houses frescos from the 14th to the 19th century.
The museum is open tuesday- thursday: 8:30-14:00
Tomb of Galileo, Santa Croce, Florence
The more famous people have a real monument on their grave. This is the tomb of Galileo, it was designed by Vasari in 1570.
Grave in the Santa Croce, Florence
In the Santa Croce you will find many graves in the floor. Some are worn by the feeth walking over them during centuries, other are still looking good.
graves are fitted with electric lights
The graveyard behind San Miniato al monte is an old one. there are monumental graves. Some graves only have a cross, some have a buste of the disseased and some have entire miniture churches. There is also a modern cellar full of graves. The thing that most caught our attention were the electric lights at the graves...
Directions: Around San Miniato al Monte church.
The south facade by Vasari.
The Uffizi Gallery was the first museum ever to be opened to the public. In 1591 the Grand Duke gave permission to visit on request. So this museum has a history of over 400 years.
It covers an area of about 8.000 sq.m.. and contains one of the most important collections of art of all times, including classical sculpture and paintings on canvas and wood by 13th to 18th century Italian and foreign schools.
Because this museum is so big and complete there is almost always a queue. At peak season the queue can be more than 100 meter.
Sunday and holidays, 8.30am-8.00pm.
every Monday, January 1, May 1, December 25.
Official information and bookings for all state museums in Florence can be obtained from: "Firenze Musei"
Phone number: +39 055.294.883
Monday to Friday 08.30 - 18.30
Saturday 08.30 - 12.30
Address: Loggiato degli Uffizi, 6
Phone: +39 055.294.883 (reservations)
San Miniato al Monte
This church is built in 1018 over the grave of christian martyr San Miniato, a rich armenian merchant who was beheaded by emperor Decius in the 3th century.
The facade is from 1090 with a geometric patern of colored marble. The mosaic is restored from the 13th century, it is Christ, with Mary and St Minias.
Directions: Piazella Michelangelo area
The tower of Palazzo Vecchio can be seen from far
The Palazzo Vecchio still has its original function of cityhall. The building was done in the thirteenth and fourteenth century. The outside has not changed much since, but the inside was changed when the Grand Ducal family under Cosimo I de' Medici moved in(1540-1565). Michelangelo and Leonardo were asked for the job, but it was Vasari who made the numerous frescos about Cosimo I and the Tuscany state.
9.00-19.00 (from 16 September to 14 June) / Sunday 9.00-14.00 / Thursday 9.00-14.00)
Address: Piazza della Signoria
Loggia dei Lanzi, Florence
Also at the Piazza della Signoria is this Loggia dei Lanzi. It is named after the bodyguards of Cosimo I. It dates from 1382 and ´inside´ are many roman statues.
More Reviews (31)
- See All stamp your ticket
- Just outside of the centre.
- See All Open loggia
- See All hug the swine
tompt's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fabulous Florence"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 44 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
- Posted in Travel Utrecht Forum "Re: Utrecht op Zondag"
- Uploaded a Photo to "view from Piazzale Michelangelo"
- updated a Florence Travel Page "Florence, city full of art"
- Wrote a Review Santa Croce, Galileo about Basilica Santa Croce in Florence Things to Do
- Commented on one of pili's Florence travel pages
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
- Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore- 264 Reviews, 538 Photos
- Ponte Vecchio & Arno River- 203 Reviews, 339 Photos
- The Uffizi Gallery- 159 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Pitti Palace & Boboli Gardens- 124 Reviews, 257 Photos
- David Statue- 83 Reviews, 95 Photos
- Piazza della Signoria- 113 Reviews, 224 Photos
- Palazzo Vecchio- 76 Reviews, 150 Photos
- Piazalle Michelangelo- 61 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Basilica Santa Croce- 92 Reviews, 159 Photos
- Galleria dell'Accademia- 57 Reviews, 61 Photos
See All Florence Things to Do