"What a place for a VT meeting !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Zaanse Schans by tompt
Zaanse Schans Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 640 photos
Working in the area (Zaandam) for 18 years the last thing i want to do on a sunday is visiting the Zaanse Schans. But then there was this VT meeting, and we thought why not? The Zaanse Schans is an open air museum filled with the green painted wood you see all over the Zaanstad area. Houses were all painted green and most them still are.
The Zaanse Schans was named after an entrenchment (schans in dutch) erected in 1574 to hold back Spanish troops at the beginning of the 80 Years War between the Netherlands and Spain. People work and live in the Zaanse Schans, and show us a situation characteristic of the landscape of this industrial district until late 19th century.
What to see at the Zaanse Schans?
Well beside the windmills there is a cheesefarm, a clogmaker, the oldest grocery of Albert Heyn ( a famous dutch supermarket chain, originally from this area), a bakery museum and much, much more.
The windmills all have a different function, one is a paintmill, another a mustardmill.
A large number of the attendees of the VT meeting in march 2004.
Left to right:
Peter - Dannie - Gonnie - Lenny - Sonja - Rudy - Roy - Rosalba - Diana - David and sitting on the ground: Ilse.
Not in the picture: Jos?, Marcel and Tom
More info about the Zaanse Schans:
The name of the restaurant refers to the old days, when this was a centre of whalers. Boats from this area went north to... more travel advice
This windmill is probably from 1693. In 1935 the top was taken off. In 1973 the foundation De Zaansche Molen bought it... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Zaanse Schans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zaanse Schans"
- "It doesn't get any more dutch than this"
- ""A MUST SEE NEAR AMSTERDAM""
- "What a place for a VT meeting !!"
- "ZAANSE SCHANS"
- "Open air museum the Zaanse Schans"
- "Back to the 80's - The 1880's"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zaanse Schans
- Transportation in Zaanse Schans
- Restaurants in Zaanse Schans
- Shopping in Zaanse Schans
- Warnings and Dangers in Zaanse Schans
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zaanse Schans
- 14 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Zaanse Schans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zaanse Schans
Photos in Zaanse SchansSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues