"The tree climbing lions of Lake Manyara" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park by tompt
Lake Manyara National Park Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 118 photos
The Lake Manyara Park is located at the base of the Great Rift Valley escarpment. Besides the lake there is forest, woodland, grasslands, and swamps. The wildlife in the park: gazelles, impala, buffalo, wildebeest, hyaena, baboon, giraffe, elephant, hippopotamus, a great number of smaller mammals; 350 species of bird, storks and flamingoes. But the most famous is the tree climbing lion, which we couldn't find...
The next day we knew why, they were hiding in the Serengeti....
This picture is made in the Serengeti National Park. Maybe it is not the best picture, but we could not get closer.
Although we only visited Lake Manyara NP for one afternoon gamedrive, we did see a lot here. The park is not very large in size, but two gamedrives here, a morning and a evening drive, must be great !
The park is 78 miles (125 km) west of Arusha. It got the National Park status in 1960. The park is 127 square miles; (330 sq km) of which 89 sq miles is Lake Manyara, a salt water lake.
Amongst the wildlife we did find in the Lake Manyara NP was this elephant. Several members of its family came very close to our vehicle.
The name of Lake Manyara comes from a plant used by the Masai to built their boma (a circle to hold the cattle in and the predators out). This plant, the Euphorbia tiruculli, is called Enamyara in the Masai language.
Lake Manyara got its name from a plant the Masai used to built their boma with. The lake itself is 220sq km, while the... more travel advice
In the case the wildlife is not ready to show itself you can always enjoy the beautiful landscape of the park. After the... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Lake Manyara National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The tree climbing lions of Lake Manyara"
- "Lake Manyara - Safari Gem of the Rift Valley"
- "Lake Manyara - much water in a dry country"
- "Lake Manyara National Park"
- "Lake Manyara"
- "I wish one can get near the lake!"
- "Was that the lake then?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Manyara National Park
- Hotels in Lake Manyara National Park
- Nightlife in Lake Manyara National Park
- Shopping in Lake Manyara National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Manyara National Park
- 6 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Lake Manyara National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Manyara National Park
Photos in Lake Manyara National ParkSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues