"Serengeti, a wide open space" Serengeti National Park by tompt
Serengeti National Park Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 497 photos
Serengeti is derived from the Masai word Serenget which means wide open space. And that is just what it is a wide open space filled with african wildlife. Millions of wildebeest migrate between here and the Masai Mara in Kenya. The animals start in the south of the Serengeti, in the area around Ndutu in april / may. They travel to the Masai Mara in Kenya some of them arriving not earlier then july. In september or october they start going back to Tanzania.
The Serengeti is a game reserve since 1929, and it became a national park in 1951. In those days it included the Ngorongoro crater. In 1959 parts of the Serengeti plains and the crater became the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. The Serengeti NP since then covers 14763 sq km. The area known for the trek of the wildebeest, the Serengeti ecosystem, is much larger tough and covers about 30000 sq km.
And where the grazers are there must be predators around. It didn't take long to find our first lion.
We also spotted some cheetah and leopards. The leopards always being in a tree far from the road, too far to take a decent picture....
After the predators the scavengers like these vultures are waiting for their turn.
In the travelogues you can find pictures of the different animals we spotted.
Although some of the animals you see in the plains of the Serengeti look very cute they are extremely dangerous. Never... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Serengeti National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Serengeti"
- "Serengeti: I thought it only existed on TV"
- "The Serengeti - Endless Plains"
- "A childhood dream"
- "Serengeti - wide land"
- "From Arusha to the Serengeti"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serengeti National Park
- Hotels in Serengeti National Park
- Transportation in Serengeti National Park
- Nightlife in Serengeti National Park
- Restaurants in Serengeti National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Serengeti National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Serengeti National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Serengeti National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serengeti National Park
Photos in Serengeti National ParkSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues